CSA Webinar

Got this message from PHPIC

We have arranged with representatives of CSA to do a webinar for PHPIC on the process of developing the CSA A770 Home Inspection standard. The webinar will take place on Dec. 4, 2014 from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. See the details below on how to listen in.

If you haven’t already done so, please take the time to review the draft proposal for the standard, by clicking on this link CSA A770 and make your comments before Dec. 15, 2014. Note that to view the draft and submit comments, you will need to create a login.

Please share this with your contacts - fellow home inspectors, real estate agents, clients, and anyone else you feel may have a stake. The broader the audience is, the better the final standard will be.

Allan Spisak

Webinar Details:

When:
Thursday December 4, 2014
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm EST

To Dial in:
1-866-946-0852 (toll free)
1-646-216-4900 (from the US)
PIN: 464 122 29#

To Connect Online:
Go to https://csagroup.webex.com/csagroup/j.php?MTID=m534f922a19f680504f55bc8742cf2ce3
Enter your name, email address, and the password: “home”. Then click “join”.

Great Doug …thanks for the info… Roy

This webinar is your chance to here the facts from the source.

I hope many inspectors log in today. If you are truely concerned about your Home Inspection profession in Canada you need to get involved.

Allan

I wonder where any please with the info presented ???

Was there any info??? I felt like a third grader again. Based on the webinar “info” I’m not surprised the document was so poorly prepared.

Thanks Yuri I wondered if I missed some thing I was there like you got zip out of it .
It started about 10 minutes late the CSA (Paul Gulletson) chair talked explained nothing for about 30 minutes .
.I could not hear any one else only he did repeat the questions and sounded to me he gave a long winded nothing answer .
I counted 35 names and 55 with no name .
I really fear big time for the Home Inspection industry .
He was smart in saying they had not recorded this webinar .
Those who did not listen missed little .
I fell of line for a couple of minutes ,
Please excuse any spelling errors… at least Yuri and I tried…/
thanks Doug and Allan for trying … Roy

I think we need to realize CSA is not out for the home Inspectors they are only interested in CSA .
We need to get the attention of the Minster of Consumer Services .
They need to remove their committee and start over .
The home Inspection industry is doomed if we all do not start talking to each other and stand up for our rights .
I they come up with an unworkable system for the homies we need to stop doing Inspections immediately .
7 to 10 days should be enough for them to understand we can not and will not work under an impossible set of rules.
I think this committee needs to be immediately dissolved and start over from scratch .

5:01 came and out went the lights!

Some of the questions didn’t get answered, one about if inspectors and clients will have to pay to view the Standards comes to mind…

This presentation made it obvious that A770 is not for inspectors.

A770 is for Realtors, Insurance, and Trades, Consumers, Regulator and of course CSA.

I, like everyone else who has posted about the webinar feel that it was nothing but a waste of time.

That guy is a politician through and through. He spoke for 35-45 minutes and said nothing that was of any interest!:twisted:

No one, I’m sure, disputes the fact that a standard SOP is a good thing. Having said that I wonder if the members of their committee even looked at existing SOPs or the NOS. I asked that question but it was never answered.
Sheesh

AlbertaACHI is having a meeting in Red Deer on Sunday about CSA Standards. Invited and hopefully attending (they said they would) is a member of the committee that drew it up as well as the representative from Service Alberta, Scott Hood. I encourage all Alberta InterNACHI members to attend, Sunday at 9 a.m. at the Quality Inn, North Hill in Red Deer.

If it sounds like a dance and looks like a dance…it was a political dance at it’s best! The answer is obvious, now they can claim that they went out and explained everything in detail to the lowly home inspector and then they will do whatever they want…and wait for the fallout. Kinda like every election campaign.
Keep the letters going to the Ministry is all I can say! JMO

Thanks Scott your idea can and does work.
( Keep the letters going to the Ministry is all I can say! )
Char does Genealogy , The Government was not going to post a lot of information they all wanted and needed .
The members letters started going out and suddenly the restrictions where fixed and information was made available .

Also it might be a good idea to CC it to your MPP Member .
Your MPP needs your votes …

As I already mentioned, the inspection community i.e. inspectors are under represented on this committee. I encourage all inspectors from all associations to let their opinions be known!

G
Committee Member

Worth repeating, thanks Gilles!

I wonder if the Ministry, CSA and other pro-licensing groups have read this:

http://www.remonline.com/failed-45-first-time-homebuyers/

You’d think that with such a large number of realtors to that RECO could prove that licensing works.

Who failed 45% of first-time homebuyers

[FONT=Times New Roman]By Christopher Seepe](http://www.remonline.com/author/ChristopherSeepe)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Apologies in advance to non-Ontario readers, but maybe this provincial experience has a national ring to it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]A Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) news release summarized its recent survey: “… almost half (45 per cent) of first-time buyers and 41 per cent of homeowners wish they had done something differently during the transaction… A further 32 per cent of first-time homebuyers reported that they did not feel prepared and knowledgeable about the process, and only half of Ontario homeowners aged 18 to 34 felt they were prepared and knowledgeable about it.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The next question might logically have been, “Did you use a Realtor?” If so, then this would be a testament to the service quality of those involved Realtors.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]An August 23, 2012 [FONT=PT Sans]Globe and Mail article says, “It is widely accepted that about 90 per cent of all home sales in Canada take place through the Multiple Listing Service… But that number is an educated guess, because there is no database that includes both houses sold by agents and those sold privately.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]RECO said in an email: “We didn’t ask (the 1,043) survey respondents to clarify whether they had worked with a registrant …[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The intention of the survey was to highlight that buying or selling a home is a complicated process and consumers may have regrets[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]if they don’t educate themselves about the process.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]RECO’s news release also stated, “We encourage buyers and sellers alike to work with a registered real estate professional.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]However, if most of the “regretful” buyers were using Realtors, how is RECO serving the public’s interest by recommending undertrained Realtors to consumers?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Who really failed these buyers? Given organized real estate’s dominant market position and the survey’s self-measured performance,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]it appears that real estate boards and their support/management organizations failed them.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]RECO responded quickly with good intent but arguably flawed logic with its Fact or Fiction campaign,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]designed to empower consumers with more knowledge to make better decisions. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]But it was like doctors telling their patients to learn about remedies for their symptoms so the patient could decide whether the doctor knows what he’s talking about. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]There’s some sensibility to this, but then what is the doctor’s professional role in providing a guiding, advisory and informed service?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Is RECO telling the public that they shouldn’t trust a Realtor’s professional advice? [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Assuredly, they didn’t mean to but it’s definitely a confusing message.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]RECO published a whitepaper on its proposed vision for registration education and solicited input, which this writer did. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]An auto-reply stated, “Please note that there will be no formal replies issued to any specific comments.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Still, it’s also a good step in the right direction but it falls far short of any permanent, positive solution.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Organized real estate should be looking inwardly to find solutions to substantially improve the quality of service and expertise of Realtors[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]before spending resources encouraging consumers to use Realtor services that aren’t up to the public’s expected standards.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The high turnover rate of Realtors must be stopped. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The odds are currently very high that a member of the public is going to be serviced by an inexperienced Realtor,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]a statistic that appears to be borne out by the RECO survey.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]A minimum two-year college or university program with a focus on a specialization in the second year would turn out solid, well-qualified apprentices. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The program must embrace real-world tools that Realtors will use in their real-world jobs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]A post-graduate course, after, say, at least three years of experience, would allow them to become a broker of record.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Applicants should perhaps be required to pass ethics and English competency tests before they can register.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The language test is not prejudicial. Some words/concepts will be learned in real estate courses, but with 135 legislated acts to be aware of in Ontario,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]for example, there are many other words that are necessary to professionally function in real estate.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Realtors should academically prove their in-depth knowledge of each major property type before they’re licensed to sell it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]It’s unrealistic to expect a Realtor to know everything necessary to fulfill their duty of care and skill in selling/buying a retail plaza, farm, oil refinery,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]condominium, estate home, manufacturing facility, office tower or the most potentially litigious property of all – the cottage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The graduate has proven their academic mettle but they’re still hardly qualified to help a family make the most important financial decision in their lives [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]or to assist an investor in making a major investment decision. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]A graduated license that begins with an apprenticeship is a critical success factor, just like it is for other professions and over 200 trades.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Brokerages mandated to invest in mentoring, not just tutoring, each registrant they take on would ensure that only the best would find jobs [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]and become established in the industry.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]More of the “same old” will not change the growing tsunami of Realtor irrelevancy that is crashing against Canadian real estate industry walls.[/FONT]