DBPR Mold LICENSE

Someone explain to me, why so many times…someone posts a question, gets feedback then blast those that give it.

Anyone that has been in our industry knows the current legislation leaves much to interpret and some to disagree with…as most new legislation does. It is constructive dialogue that gives us the opportunity to go back a request legislative changes and/or clarification.

And for those that are frustrated with the current legislation, perhaps attending the multiple meetings on the proposals for the legislation would have served your needs better.

Not in defense of Nick, but he and his relationships seem to be a valuable resource for all of us.

His realtionships with who?

I mean the guy has pull there is no doubt. But once again he is giving information he has no facts. He has the “spirit” has claims to know the intention. But why give out stuff as facts when they are NOT facts?

Notice Doug Wall a few threads up. This guy does not play. The day that law comes into effect, what do you think he is going to do when he finds a home inspector doing a mold test beyond the scope? I know what he will do, and I will not follow suite, but can you blame him? Thousands of dollars in insurace, education and equipment.

I am NOT talking about getting SUED, I am talking WORSE…losing your license to do business. Then what about your repuation? Stuff like this follows you for a long time.

I am NOT saying he is right, I am saying WE DONT KNOW. Why put information out as factual when in it is NOT factual?

I want my fellow inspectors to have long and productive professional lives. Just want them to be properly informed. To me thats the best way to make it happen. If mold is a big part of your business then get licensed…

FYI I am not frustrated at all. I have a mold assessor license. Just don’t want to see my brothers get slammed. As with anything its up to the individual to do their business as they see fit.

Just some view Nicks comments as facts…Those are the people still waiting on their gift cards and hundreds of thousands of wind mit re-inspections. :wink:

Nicks contacts have NOTHING to do with Home Inspectors. Once again he is NOT a practicing home inspector, he is the dictator of our organization. All he does and will do will only faciliate the growth of HIS organization.

So with only about 20% of people being in business for more than 3 years in this profession. Would it be better to go after the experienced person or the ones just entering the business? Money is bet on the newbie its where the growth is and where the money comes from.

Is NACHI the hands down best educational organization for inspectors there is? 100% YES! Did Nick bring this from idea to reality, YES! Does it matter to Nick if you are around next week? Nope, because he knows when your gone two will be entering to replace you.

Nick doesn’t want you to succeed, if he did he would concentrate on YOU, he doesn’t he concentrates on getting more and more people into the trade thus creating small pieces of pie for the people in the trade.

So when you say, People slam people for their opinions, its not slamming is producing another opinion.

If you think Nick is doing things to make the profession smaller and more elite, does that even make sense if your whole purpose is numbers? Think about it.

Russell you’re wrong, I doubt I will ever report anyone to the DBPR. I’m old and retired but I know a lot of young people who make a living doing mold assessment. I would gladly help any young person when someone is stealing their work.
I was on the phone with the DBPR this morning and they said home inspectors can’t do mold assessment or advertise mold services without a mold license. I am trying to get something in print that states this. This should be cleared up so everyone knows if they can or not.

I have the document that says home inspectors can’t do mold assesments without a mold license if you need it.

He said you can’t advertise for mold services as well…

Doug weren’t you the one slamming an inspector for doing Home Inspoections without a license? He told me that you were bad mouthing him. His initials are SS. Just what I heard…who knows. I do find it kinda funny that you know exactly how many Mold Inspectors there are and how many are advertising mold services without a license. Just makes me wonder why you would go through all that?

Do as you like, you and John are good people and competent in their work. I could care less. Just don’t want my fellow inspectors getting slammed and jammed up.

Would I blame you? Nope, your make a good living doing mold and do them properly and want to build the cedibility of the license up to increase the professionalism. i agree with that.

We shall see how it plays out. Who knows.

This is our profession and I like to know “everything” about it. I have lists of mold assessors and home inspectors on many of our websites. Been a challenge keeping list updated. Since we get alot of calls for home inspectors we send them to our sites.
As for a HI working without a license, can’t think of any with SS for initials. Was on three jobs in the past week with HI’s without a licenses. Don’t care if the Home Inspector is licensed or not, really. Will work them next month, if they call. Two of the three haven’t even applied for one.
Saying someone is required to have a license isn’t bad mouthing, is it.

If I bad mouth someone, I use facts, that’s not bad mouthing, but why would they not have a license, even I could get one.
Why wouldn’t he call me and complain if I said anything that was not true.
I don’t know a good home inspector from a bad one, when I asked, I just say I haven’t heard any complaints about him. After thousands of real estate deals, I rarely say anything new. Same thing over and over,

Guess I’ll have to go out to eat tonight for punishment, sounds like a good idea. I’m a bad boy :mrgreen:

Mold inspection / testing or assessment, are they the same or different?
I’ve asked the DBPR explain (in print) if HI’s can or can not do what Nick suggests. I understand where Nick is coming from and if he’s right so be it.

They (DBPR) always refer back to:
2010-176.468.8419Prohibitions; penalties.********—
(1) A person may not:
(a) Effective July 1, 2011, perform or offer to perform any mold assessment unless the mold assessor has documented training in water, mold, and respiratory protection under s. 468.8414](Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine)(2).
(b) Effective July 1, 2011, perform or offer to perform any mold assessment unless the person has complied with the provisions of this part.

PS as of today, it will be at least 90 days before we see an SOP for mold assessment. (per DBPR)

No such doc because licensed home inspectors can perform mold testing (not assessments) if mold is less than 10 square feet.

They are very different. Mold assessment requires a mold assessors license. Merely testing mold under 10 square feet does not.

They are very different. Mold assessment requires a mold assessors license. Merely testing mold under 10 square feet does not.

So swabbing is in but air sampling is out…correct

Enough info on both sides to deter me from any “mold” work to include swabbing. There is a solution, since Nick is “bored and rich”. Get IAC2/3 approved (not really sure if it is or not) with DBPR and in conjunction with Nachi and ProLab, initiate an insurance program which HI’s can afford to perform assessment. For say the first year, HI would submit assessment to a reviewer with ProLab/Nachi prior to publishing and pay a fee for the review. HI would apply for Mold Assessor license with DBPR.

If you can’t beat them, change the rules of the game. Or, in the words of a famous baseball manager, “If you come to a fork in the road, take it”.

How about it, Nick?

How can a reviewer know the conditions of the house? I see no possible way to review a mold assessment without visiting the property.

Just so I understand
Question from one of our guys,
If a mold air sample comes back elevated in a 3,000 sq ft home and the whole place needs to be cleaned (say humidity bloom).

That’s 10 sq ft right?:slight_smile:

Not to stir a hornet’s nest with a stick, but if one is so concerned about sampling mold as a home inspector that could be in violation of a mold assessor’s license, and potentially having issues with a mold assessor or lawsuits, then why not just get your mold assessor’s license and not have to worry about any of it? Maybe I’m missing the point…

Just a guess
Easy money for “testing”
Avoid responsibility for doing the job right.

Save money on license?
Save money on Insurance?

everyone have a good afternoon, gotta hit the road

If I go inspect a home and find (suspected) mold on the kitchen cabinetry in the under sink cabinet should I :

A) run out of the house screaming about the toxicity.
B) tell them to call a mold assessor.
C) tell them to replace the cabinet.

Wow, what is the crazy new thing called mold? I hear it just came out in the past few years. Its probably not the stuff that has been around since the beginning of time that we have been dealing with all of those years by simply removing the source of moisture and cleaning or removing the affected areas.
Not that I am ungrateful for the extra fees for tested that have been collected over the last few years, but for the most part I would say about 90 percent of the dollars that the general public has had to put out for remediation of that crazy new thing called mold have been an absolute waste.
Its like adding the word marine to a screw and charging 200 times more for it.
Granted there are times when those procedures are warranted, but not often.

So as an inspector because of liability, I have to recommend B
As an intelligent individual I would have a different answer

I am not a mold assessor nor will I ever be. Customers call all the time with questions my favorite being “Will you be able to tell me if there is any mold in the home?”. My answer, YES the home has mold. Would you like a quote for an inspection? I don’t do envronmental testing. This is a cottage industry if youse guys are making money off it now good for you.

Try making it for aviation and you can make some real $

I’m sure that response makes you feel good.

others see it differently
about 4 years to get a mold license in Florida
about 3 weeks to get an HI license in Florida
about 8 years to get a mold license in Arkansas
do they have a home inspector license in Arkansas?