Mold law stays the same

Senate vote on HB5007
21 nay / 18 yea
:):):):):):):):slight_smile:

aND WHAT DOES THAT MEAN. TO US?

YES, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.

IT SEEMS THAT THE NEED TO LICENSE FOR MOLD AND THE REQUIREMENTS SEEM TO CHANGE DAILY. IT WOULD BE NICE IF WE COULD GET SOME CLEAR INFORMATION FROM NACHI.

JUST SAY’IN…:roll:

There is a difference between a mold assessor and a home inspector.

Florida State Licensed
Mold Assessor
Minimum time to become licensed
3 to 4 YEARS

Requirements:

• Extensive approved training
  • Pass a state test
  • 4 years experience
  • Minimum $1 million Liability & E&O insurance for pre & post remediation

(1 year of experience with specific College degrees)

Florida State Licensed
Home Inspector
Minimum time to become licensed
3 to 4 WEEKS

Requirements:

• 120 hours of approved training
  • Pass a state test
  • NO experience
  • $300,000 Liability

A lot of hacks were grandfathered in to the mold license; after July 1, the DBPR can begin to thin the ranks. Requiring a certificate of insurance that proves coverage for microbial consulting (post remediation E&O) may prove interesting.

468.8421 Insurance.-A mold assessor shall maintain general liability and **errors and omissions for both preliminary and post remediation mold assessment insurance **coverage of at least $1 million.

These posted proposed rules will probably be used and should be interesting: (pages 15 to 17)
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/mold/documents/mold_rules_draft.pdf](http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/mold/documents/mold_rules_draft.pdf)

One thing for sure the next year will be very interesting.

Naples mold inspection, Naples home inspector,Marco island mold inspector, Cape Coral home inspectors, Bonita Springs mold inspections, Ft Myers home inspection

I dont even know what I’m rooting for anymore. It’s no wonder Florida is the birthplace of the ‘chad’.

After contacting my rep (Mike Fasano, but no Paisano) appears both he and his staff collectively don’t know if their butt was bored or punched.

Bruce Gregory, InterNACHI Certified HI# 10120503
Florida Home Inspector 1167, Florida Mold Assessor 450
http://HomeandBuildingInspectors.com

“Age is a state of mind, however not yet a state of mine”. bg

BaHaHaHa - Good one

Okay, So the mold law stays the same. Does that mean that the grandfather clause that was to be extended to July 1, 2012 (468.8324) got the axe with the 21/18 vote? I think I created a pandora’s box where my situation is concerned. It was something that I might have been able to prevent but did not act in time. I have a commercial building inspector certification with ICC which is a Standard Building Inspector certification with the DBPR. Did all the NACHI courses plus the proctored couse for the state at the end. Wound up in the VA Hospital with possible heart attack until May 2nd. Called DBPR with an explanation and was told to send a letter to the effect of the hospital situation. They cashed my check, asked for an electronic finger print card 2 weeks latter and then sent me a, “sorry too late letter” lol. I know it was late but I sort of had other things on my mind…like dying. Any suggestions?

Carl

1 Like

No grandfathering now.
If you qualify for a license, they will give you one.

Grandfathering screwed the home inspectors and especially the mold inspectors. (just my view)

mold https://www.myfloridalicense.com/CheckListDetail.asp?SID=&xactCode=1030&clientCode=0701&XACT_DEFN_ID=13095

Application Requirements:

• [FONT=Verdana]EXAMINATION: Individuals seeking licensure as a mold assessor must first take and pass one of the examinations approved by the department and administered by the American Council for Accredited Certification (ACAC), in computer based testing format. To contact the American Council for Accredited Certification please call 1-888-808-8381 or go to the website at www.acac.org](http://www.acac.org/). Please refer to the application instructions for information regarding the administration of the examination.
  • EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: A copy of a transcript is required demonstrating an Associate of Arts degree or higher with at least 30 credit hours in microbiology, engineering, architecture, industrial hygiene or occupational safety or related field of science from an accredited institution. The applicant must also demonstrate a minimum of 1 year of documented field experience in microbial sampling or investigations, and documented training in water, mold and respiratory protection;

or
a high school diploma and 4 years of experience under the supervision of a Florida licensed mold assessor or remediator. This is not a complete listing of educational and experience requirements. Please see the application instructions page for complete information.

• **FINGERPRINTS: **An applicant must have a background check as part of the licensing process. To learn more about fingerprinting, please visit our fingerprint FAQs](http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/servop/testing/documents/finger_faq.pdf).
  • **INSURANCE: **Applicants for a Mold Assessor license are required to attest that they have obtained general liability and errors and omissions insurance for both preliminary and post remediation mold assessment in the amount of no less than $1 million dollars as determined by statute.

[/FONT]

A Florida home inspector license is as good as a Florida mold assessors license (I have both) for anything under 10 square feet of mold.

This should be fun. Half the home inspectors never see the mold so how would they determine how many sq ft there is.

If you have less than 10 sq ft of mold, I can test for it, but I can’t advertise I perform mold assessment. I don’t have mold insurance and I don’t qualify for a mold license so Mr consumer you should hire me.

Like I said should be fun.

Home inspectors are free to offer mold inspections and advertise that they do… without a mold assessor license.

Read the part of the law that I made bold and underlined:

You only need a mold assessors license if there is more than 10 square feet of mold. If less than 10 square feet (what you’ll find 99% of the time), a home inspector can test/identify it.

A mold assessor is not as qualified as a home inspector to perform a mold inspection (unless the mold assessor is also a home inspector). To do a proper mold inspection you need the skills of a home inspector and a holistic understanding of the home including ventilation, condensation, roofing leaks, plumbing leaks, HVAC systems, crawl spaces, grading, downspouts, gutters, humidity, vapor barriers, drainage, stucco/EIFS, flashing, sump pumps, etc. Those are home inspector skills.

Always make sure your mold inspector is a licensed home inspector.

Good point Nick.

If the state really wanted to make sure that Mold Assessors understood building science and moisture intrusion as it relates to mold in the home, the state should require that the mold assessor holds a home inspectors license too.

Once the rule making committee is again allowed to move forward it will be very important that home inspectors are not prevented from being able to assist their clients with minor mold contamination. Hopefully NACHI will help insure that those who oversee our profession understand the intent of the 10 Sq-Ft rule.

A here lies the problem. Doug does have a Home Inspector license and yet has never completed a Home Inspection…thanks to who?..Your Friendly FLORIDA NACHI…Proof of what I have been saying all along…

Once again, thanks Nick and Zoe…Your actions will take years to cure themselves…

Russel… Think it out a few steps.

How would a new applicant in a state that has had licensing for some time every possibly get a home inspection under their belt? Performing home inspections without a license is illegal.

Everyone (including you Russell) did their first real home inspection for a real client.

Most licenses the state of Florida issues from here until forever and ever and ever and ever will be to someone who never did a fee-paid home inspection.

Get used to it.

Even you had to do your first home inspection… and you did it without a license!

Are you going to go back, find your first client, and refund their money now? LOL! What about your 2nd fee-paid inspection, did your client get screwed there or did you confess that you had only done one inspection at that point? What about your 3rd client? Did you disclose your total lack of experience?

Face it, nearly every new application the DBPR approves will be for someone who has never had a real client. This will be true forever and ever, just as it is in all licensed sates.

I realize that Doug would like the law to prohibit home inspectors from offering mold inspections… but that isn’t the law. Home inspectors can offer mold inspection services without a mold assessors license. That is reality.

I realize that Russell would like the law to prohibit applicants from getting their licenses without experience… but that isn’t the law. People can get a home inspectors license without Florida InterNACHI, without grandfathering, and without experience. That is reality.

We can’t live in our little dream worlds forever.

LOL…Nick you see it from your point of view which is to get as many members at any cost and reguardless of quality.

I on the other hand make my living by actually doing the inspections. So we have different points of view. Mine is about quality yours is about numbers.

Different people with different paths. I never wanted to be the biggest of anything, just the best.

But then with you attitude then why not let Meeker do repairs on houses he inspects? I mean since you so bent on quoting the LAW without reguard to the profession and the public, why not let him do these repairs?

O, I know the for APPEARANCE of being “PROFESSIONAL”. You can’t have it both ways. You work every angle to fit your needs. I work every angle to protect my profession and my clients.

Who is right and wrong depends on the perception. I want the profession to be viewed as …well a profession…You want member numbers any way you can get them…

PSSSTTTT…You have no clue how I started and I was licensed from day one. The company has been licensed since 1985 and I did a YEAR apprenticeship before ever doing a home inspection.

So when it comes to quality and my background, I think I know it a tad better than you…

See Nick I actually planned this out, it wasn’t something I thought I would do instead of working on Patriot Missiles. I actually wanted to do an apprenticeship and want to give the client the best inspection possible thats why I did about 250 with a mentor before ever doing one alone.

See Nicky Poo…though shall not talk when thou has no freaking clue…

Russ 1:18

You are still in your dream world. The DBPR doesn’t give a rats **** about how many apprentice inspections you did before there was licensing. You still had your first fee-paid (real) client, then your second, then your third… just like everyone else does.

If you had done 250,000,000 apprentice inspections you would get the exact same little license from the DBPR as an inexperienced kid coming out of home inspection school gets when he applies.

Wake up.

Because it would harm our profession and consumers.

Don’t forget, InterNACHI can require stuff the DBPR can’t because the home inspector law doesn’t regulate us, it regulates inspectors (not inspection trade associations).

Some of InterNACHI’s requirements overlap the state’s, but for the most part, InterNACHI’s requirements are ABOVE and BEYOND whatever your particular state requires.