InterNACHI legislation adds licensed home inspectors to those who are exempt from...

… adds licensed home inspectors to those who are exempt from complying with provisions related to mold assessment.

“InterNACHI legislation”? Can you elaborate?

LMAO…are you serious? Russell legislation says your gonna lose. Time will tell. I thought you weren’t worried. You were gonna be old and gray and all that good stuff.

Kinda got ya thinking and proactive now huh?

We’ll see. :cool:

Uh, nope. You might want to check the filing date.

? Please elaborate.

Steven did you know HVAC guys don’t need an assessors license and can do mold testing?

I think what is being said is that Nick is trying to get licensed home inspector on that list that do not need a license and are exempt from the criteria. I thought the license was to prvent every Tom Dick and Harry from doing mold testing.

I don’t know if this is the case. I just have a huge time believing that the DBPR will allow every licensed Home Inspector the exemption from the law.

When did NACHI start writing legislation?

DUH…you did know it was changed to the United States of Gromicko right? The memo prolly went into your spam folder.

I know that Gerry was instrumental in putting in the 10 foot rule. Is that what you mean by NACHI legislation?

Question for Russell:
The ten square foot rule applies to “surface area” so how does air sampling come in? I mean I agree with your feelings on this I’m just wondering how those that speak legalese would parse this.

OK lets go with 5 square feet of visual mold. You do a mold test. What kind are you going to do? Viable or non-viable. Lets say you do a swab test and it comes back Stachybotrys. Now you get the results, now what do you do?

Do you tell them its mold and to call a mold assessor? Do you tell them how to remediate (your not allowed), can you tell the extent of the contamination without a air quality test? SO now the air quality test comes back Pick it high or low, your still not allowed to comment on the remediation or lack there of.

So what is the purpose, besides ripping off a homeowner, is the reason for a test by a non mold assessor? You cannot comment on the findings except, yep its mold, and to then tell them to call a person who will then run their own test and cost the consumer twice. Is that fair to the consumer? Is that professional and moral of a home inspector.

If you cannot tell if something is mold from looking at it (or at least being 99% sure) well then consider a different career. I have yet to find something that looked like mold, tested it and it was NOT mold. I never swabbed a booger thinking it was mold. People will play the, I cannot tell 100% that is mold without testing.

I see water staining, I see wood flooring that is decayed, and damaged drywall. I am pretty sure that greenish/black stuff on the wall is mold.

What many professionals use mold testing for is NOT to determine if mold is there, but what type of mold because that alone can tell an entire story. Different molds take different conditions to grow. From just walking into a place we don’t usually have history. Also to find the levels of air contamination to determine the protocol for cleaning.

So even if home inspectors can DO the testing, it is all fine and dandy when clean results show up, but what about when high readings are noted, then what?

So the wall with 5 sq feet of visual mold is present, and they open the wall and its 50 square feet. I know its VISUAL when tested. But once again, do you want to offer a service and then look like an idiot when the results come in.

Mr. Smith the lab came back with (pick any type of mold) on the swab sample I took. I legally cannot tell you what to do, except to call a professional. Who will then come in and retest the area. How would you feel as a homeowner? My first thought would be, why the hell did I pay the first guy? Do you want to ever provide a service where you cannot be as professional as possible? Shine the best light on your company and yourself?

The way I look at it is, if your 100% prepared to be a professional and an authority on the items you are testing for, then your hurting two people, your client and yourself. If you offer something, do it right, do it professionally and be prepared to follow through and answer legitimate questions.

Does this help Larry? Did I answer your question?

Russ,
As I said I agree with your position on this. What I was wondering is since the “law” says “surface area” could it be argued that it doesn’t apply to air sampling? Personaly I’d rather just point the client to an assesor.

Read the title of this thread. Nothing to do with the 10 square foot thing.

Read the statement post in the FL NACHI newsletter. Come on and say it…it won’t kill ya

I really dont see anything that will allow a regular home inspector to do any testing associated with mold.
Also, mold assessors pay a lot of money to be mold assessors, so I really cant imagine any “real” assessor taking a back seat to this…

I got the DBPR to hold off until their attorneys can review my argument which is based on the legislative intent of lines 37 through 40 in http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/0849/BillText/er/HTML

I can’t promise anything, but I think my argument is quite strong.

Wanna bet? I bet you will lose the arguement. I believe that Home Inspectors will not be allowed to do mold testing without a mold assessors license. I believe it so much that I am willing to wager $500 and the loser pay the money to NACHI Nickels…wanna take the bet Nick?

You’re on.

Sweet, either way Nachi Nickels wins…

I was doing a allergen test…mold came back as a possible cause…

Am I going to jail…