Deck attached to cantilevered floor

What does everyone feel about the deck attachment ? I can see bolts and hangers but, I have always been told you should NOT attach a deck to a cantilevered floor without running the floor joist over onto a wall or making the deck freestanding. This house was built in 1998, before the cantilevered code standards were changed. Would this need to be something that needs to be addressed immediately ?
DSCN9008
DSCN9012
DSCN9208
DSCN9209

Even IF the cantilever/freestanding concern wasn’t an issue… there is no way in hell that ledger will hold that deck up without some serious fixes to the actual attachment/fasteners of the ledger to the wall!!!

6 Likes

Seems like it did the job for 24 years. Upgrade to meet code can likely happen in a few years. Not up to todays standards is all that needs to be noted.

3 Likes

Everything will last for a while… UNTIL IT DOESN’T!!

All of those FAILED decks we see on the news WORKEDUNTIL THEY DIDN’T!!

5 Likes

I don’t know when/if accepted building practices (code) changed relative to this issue, but it is a no-no now. I call things like that for safety. Deck failures are a big news item and I don’t want lawyers coming after me following a party of 50 folks who were dancing on a deck when it failed. Ledger board fastening and joist connections are the major issues with failures, and this one meets that criteria. The deck joists should penetrate the cantilever and rest directly on the foundation wall.

5 Likes

True, but a good inspector would be able to determine if it will last or not even with the non-complying latest code issues at hand. Not all decks fail because they were not built to the deck bible.

4 Likes

From here, that deck does not appear to be 24 years old.

3 Likes

As @jjonas said, I would be most concerned about the ledger fastening. I see 2 small, non-compliant looking fasteners in this entire area.

4 Likes

I would still call it out for further evaluation. I agree, the ledger attachment does not look sufficient. But also, when a deck is attached to a rim joist, that joist is bearing on top of the wall. This one is relying on a ledger that is attached to a rim joist that is nailed to the floor joists. (and the rim joist is not visible)
Looks like they may have attached it through the siding as well?

1 Like

Ledger flashing would be nice

Who knows, maybe the deck joist layout matches the house’s joist layout and the ledger board lag bolts are fastened into the butt end of the house joist, the deck joist may be covering the lags?

1 Like

Could be. That almost makes it worse though. You have the rim joist fasteners and now the ledger board fasteners all tied into the butt end of the floor joist. No good in my opinion.

1 Like

Well, there is most likely wall sheathing in between the deck ledger and the house rim joist and the exterior wall of the house is fastened down through into the house rim joist preventing the rim joist from pulling off the house, also the houses deck sheathing is nailed into the rim joist, not that I am saying the deck build is proper, just saying.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean we are just guessing about the deck joists lining up with the house joists and so forth. For me, I see two non-compliant fasteners in this large area and that is all. No idea what’s observable otherwise. It would definitely go in my report.

3 Likes

Really? WOW!!

Ryan, you really need to change that statement to “YOU are just guessing…” NOT “we”!!
You do not want to be associated with an asinine comment like that above!

We are all just guessing. Maybe the OP will chime back in with more info but with only the info given, it would be going in my report for multiple issues.

1 Like

IMO, that is the right thing to do.
If I can’t see it, it is in question and needing verification or correction.
Period!

2 Likes

I don’t feel anything about it but it is not allowed. :-1:

This is older but get the newer one:

DECK design for code acceptance-2006 IRC.pdf (2.5 MB)

2 Likes

IMO, any deck that is still standing from back when this was allowed is likely at the end of its useful life. If the deck had been replaced (which I think it has) then I would hold it to the more modern standard. So, I would definitely call it out along with the other things mentioned such as ledger attachment fasteners, lack of ledger flashing, siding between the ledger attachment and anything else I could find.

2 Likes