Deck attached to cantilevered floor

I’m sure glad I’ve getting some good interaction from everyone in the inspection business. This will go down in my report as a defect that needs to be repaired ASAP, this is a SAFETY issue regardless if its code or not (but we all know it is). The buyers have been made aware of the repairs that need to be made.

2 Likes

Code is great and all but anything can be engineered. Just because it doesn’t conform to the code book automatically means wrong. I actually got a lesson on a very similar issue on a relatively new house years ago. The cantilever was about 2:1 (two parts development length to one part overhang) which according to my trusty code book is wrong. Well, it turns out an engineer designed it with extra uplift restraints at the house… and I looked like an idiot. Things potentially being engineered is reason 10,000 why HIs need to be careful running around with a Superman cape and a code book in their hand. If there’s a performance problem, of course note it. Otherwise, I’d probably mention it’s an uncommon setup and permits should be verified to ensure a proper design and load carrying capacity for safety (add in examples of people falling to their death to your satisfaction).

6 Likes

I don’t think you should feel like an idiot. You called out something that didn’t look right. The client confirmed that it was ok. You had no way of knowing that it was engineered. I’d rather error on the side of caution, especially with decks.

8 Likes

That deck needs to be repaired in a manner that provides a freestanding structure independent of the ledger attachment. Essentially a second post and beam support must be added close to the home. You cannot attach to a cantilever and you have no idea when that may fail. Could be tomorrow if you put enough load on it. As inspectors we can rarely see the true condition of the sheathing and framing behind the ledger attachment, so why risk the potential liability? No ledger flashing increases the risk significantly as water can follow the fasteners into the framing.
I’ve seen way too many reports that ignore stuff like this. If you’re not writing these up in a way that calls for significant repairs, you are opening yourself up to real liability. In general, inspectors need to write much harder about decks from what I have seen.

I would agree with Brian that the deck is newer than 1998. The ledger is attached with ledger lock screws and not lag bolts, so that’s a clear clue that it is not as old. Not enough of them installed either. They are compliant when installed properly. They were specifically designed to replace older hardware options.

The freestanding repair should be a common call out in your reports. It’s a relatively easy fix. Adding a second post and beam structure will cost about $3,500 depending on where you live. It’s not a deal killer and should be a regular thing that your realtors should get used to seeing.

Calling for further evaluation is weak and unnecessary. It’s wrong. Just fix it.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how you can make the determination those are ledgerloks from the provided pictures.

1 Like

Size, color, and contractor experience my friend.

Ledger attachment is largely irrelevant once it is freestanding. So who cares about the fasteners? If you fix this correctly, the fasteners are irrelevant because the new beam holds the weight.

Two proper beams = no chance of failure = no liability.

On any deck, if you have a concern about fastener attachment then you likely have a real support issue that fasteners won’t address and should be recommending freestanding support.

2 Likes

That I agree with. Actually it should be disconnected from the house completely in that case.

No reason to disconnect. The ledger still provides lateral bracing.

4 Likes

I think all that is saying is if you plan on making it free standing, you need plans and a permit. I see your point, if connected it must support the deck. However, the plan review people will determine if disconnecting will actually be required. I guess one could back out the ledger bolts :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I deleted the post because I do see that DCA 6 allows attachment of free standing decks to the home for lateral bracing. There are some restrictions on that attachment though.

2 Likes

Can spot several issues.
Note defects/deficiencies and move on.

1 Like

Well, after 45 years, I can’t tell what kind of fasteners those are. So you must have a good eye.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter Marcel. (But they are ledger lock screws) The whole point of the DCA6 and the 2015/2018 code changes for decks is to make them freestanding to avoid ledger detachment failure issues. This is a very simple common sense thing that can easily be addressed by adding a second beam. Arguing about fasteners is pointless because a deck really shouldn’t be attached by the ledger anymore, so the fasteners are irrelevant. Too many have failed and caused serious injuries and death as a result of the old single beam and ledger attachment. Home inspectors should start taking this seriously and reporting with language that emphasizes this issue. We have a duty to report the potential concerns and the severity of the defect. I’ve had two decks in the last two weeks which were imminent life safety hazards as a result of this exact issue. There are tons more out there all over the country. If you’re not telling your buyers to make these decks freestanding and in some cases, replace the entire deck, then you are opening yourselves up to all kinds of liability.

I don’t understand why you guys are so resistant to this? Maybe you’re more focused on making your realtors happy than keeping your buyers safe…

1 Like

Perhaps they need a different perspective…

284752714_10166401630315603_8854668489784139074_n

7 Likes

Are you saying you report on every deck that is supported by the home, even when done correctly?

DCA6 provides guidance for properly attaching to the home. I don’t see it as an issue. Just have to follow the guidance and the standards.

1 Like

Yeah, I just HATE it when I (or one of my employees) makes an incorrect call. Our job is to help everyone through the process and not get in the way. Obviously, it’s impossible to be right 100% of the time and I know it’s going to happen. I just really try to minimize it.

Okay time for my 2 cents.

Ledger was being supported by a cantilevered structure, was not properly attached to the structure and lacked flashing.

I agree with Ryan that adding another beam and post system would fix the problem, and I verbally recommend this to my clients all the time.

3 Likes

Write it up for all houses, especially for older houses that were not engineered to have decks installed. A deck can be supported by a cantilever if it is 6 foot or less in length, in most cases. Again always ask for approved permits for all decks as they fall off houses quite often, especially when people take pictures at party time. An additional support girder will need to be installed unless of course the deck has an approved permit as the town engineer will have seen the exposed framing that may extend into the house as required.

I guess it really does not matter how high the deck is, but for me…the cantilever attachment made me more than nervous.

I know it is just a spot of moisture…but!!

4 Likes

Would be neat to see some pictures of these.

4 Likes