Deck Construction

particular concern is the ledger, handrails, beam and stairway…

constructed in 2005…

it actually looks pretty good to me what are your concerns ???..jim

Typically, 1/2" hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel bolts are required at the ledger attachment and a grippable handrail is needed at the stairs for safety. And 5" of stringer board should be left after cut out for treads/risers, hard to tell on that one. Beam appears over cantilevered. And 4" sphere can pass through risers.

wow You eyes must be lots better than mine Larry…

Ledger bolts look small, certainly the riser gap is greater than 4" - a child could easily get their head in there, handrails don’t appear graspable. Why is it that deck builders go with 2x6 for the "handrail? I don’t like it.

my .02

Support posts shouldn’t be in contact with the soil, even if it is pressure treated stock.

http://www.strongtie.com/productuse/PTWoodFAQs.html

Thanks Larry. I do have this page saved in my favorites… I still don’t like the post buried in the ground. Too many times I have run across PT post that are rotted, fence posts, decks, etc. I think it probably has a lot to do with the material and where it is purchased. Who knows what your actually getting. JMHO

**What does retention level mean and what retention level should I use? **
Retention level refers to the amount of preservative that remains in the wood after the treatment process is complete. It is measured on a weight basis and is typically expressed as pounds of preservative per cubic foot (pcf) of wood.
There are a number of typical retention levels available. Generally, the harsher the condition the wood is exposed to, the higher the retention level must be.
For Above Ground use/exposures the following retentions are typical: (i.e. wood not in contact with soil)
0.25 pcf for ACQ, CCA-C, MCQ
0.20 pcf for CBA-A
0.10 pcf for CA-B
For Ground Contact use / exposures the following retentions are typical: (i.e. wood in contact with soil) 0.40 pcf for ACQ, CCA-C, MCQ
0.41 pcf for CBA-A
0.21 pcf for CA-B