Dedicated circuit?

Under NEC does a wall mounted or baseboard heater have to be on a dedicated circuit??

Its one heater 500w max.

I have a 20 amp Gfci circuit with 3 outlets on it. I wanted to use that and could even eliminate one of the outlets in exchange if necessary.
Also is there code on it being thermostatically controlled?

I really appreciate it.

I don’t see anything in Article 424 that require a dedicated circuit for a 500 watt heater. The general rule is that a branch circuit can supply an appliance fastened in place if it doesn’t use more than 50% of the circuit’s capacity. So with a 20 amp circuit and a 500 watt heater you will be OK. The unit will require a disconnecting means which can be a unit switch with a marked off position that disconnects the ungrounded conductor.

What does the 20 amp circuit currently serve? This heater cannot be added to a kitchen Small Appliance Branch Circuit (SABC). Here are some 2008 code sections:

Ths poster, I believe, is trying to add this to a laundry circuit. The story seems to change slightly in other forums when the same question is asked.

It cannot be added (legally) to the laundry circuit. Where else is this question posted, over at Holt’s?

I have seen them combined with an A/C circuit which was considered OK since they run at different times.

Just want to clarify what I want to do. In the laundry room I have a dedicated washer circuit and dryer circuit which obviously i cant use. Another circuit which has 3 outlets and is gfci. Thats the one I want to add to if possible.

Can I use that?

Can I get away with a plug in if not…I believe they have to be hardwired?

I appreciate it

If the unit is factory wired as cord and plug then you can just plug it in to that 20 amp circuit. Adding a cord and plug to a unit that is listed for hard wiring may nullify the listing and then you would have a problem with 110.3

so a plug in heater, if purchased as so, would satisfy my heat requirements? I think thats what you are saying but I am being super cautious about doing this right.

Thanks