Determining The Age of a Home

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Adam,

I applied, they wanted me to shave my facial hair. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Nice looking group John. I am sure you are proud. icon_cool.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Ah yes. Thanks Todd. Picture beats a man in a skirt anyday, huh?

Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: aslimack

John,

What do the shirts say? Just curious. Couldn’t make it out.

Adam, A Plus

ASTROS!

Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: tallen

jonofrey wrote:
Ah yes. Thanks Todd. Picture beats a man in a skirt anyday, huh?

I duno, I kinda thought you looked good in a skirt ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: wengelking

Sorry, folks, but there is no foolproof way to determine the exact age of some homes. Posted, are lots of good tools, but not always reliable. I have one home that the county says was built in 1955. There is no question that it was built much earlier. It has a field stone foundation without footings. It has a cistern under the living room floor. I met neighbors that have family that lived in the house prior to 1910. There was no electrical, plumbing, or central heat in the home up to 1961.

So, you need to use a little common sense and question any numbers you might find.

Walter

Originally Posted By: rray

Hey, Walter.

Having worked in California, Louisiana, and Texas using public records, your 1955 date could be the "moved to" date or the "burned down and rebuilt" date, or any other major rebuild/renovation date, such as the date plumbing, electricity, and central heat were installed (or possibly applied to be installed).

A building only has to be picked up and moved a certain number of feet to get a new build date. So at that point, when it was actually built kind of is moot because something major happened in 1955 to cause it to get a new build date.

Here in San Diego, when something major happens, we'll get two dates:
Build/Eff = 1912/1955.

Definitely don't believe all the stories that the neighbors tell you. That will really screw you up. Kind of like the seller saying, "I did everything myself. Pulled all the permits. Did everything to code." Uh-huh.

Public records in some of the rural areas, and rural states, are lacking. Fortunately for me, the big cities (read, San Diego County) are not.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything in life. I've even found an error or two in the public records and some interesting typos (built in 1004).

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: wengelking

Quote:
Having worked in California, Louisiana, and Texas using public records, your 1955 date could be the "moved to" date or the "burned down and rebuilt" date, or any other major rebuild/renovation date, such as the date plumbing, electricity, and central heat were installed (or possibly applied to be installed).

That is exactly right, but the reason is never given or recorded. In my case, based on the abstract and birth and death recotds 1855 is the logical building date. However, there are two additions, the later one looks like it could have been 1955. Still, who knows?, you have use a little reasoning.
Walter