Realtor warns me about home.....

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Got an inspection today from someone that found me thru my website. Called the Agency handling the property and set it all up.

Just got a call from the realtor (one of the largest in my area, and I haven’t gotten in with them yet but have been trying).

Realtor said "haven’t ever read one of your reports before, but just wanted to “warn” you about the home, and that it’s older, windows are older, elect service is older, etc. etc. and that she “hoped” I’d take that into account when doing my report. She said “most HI’s tell their clients that they will run into problems because the home is so old and it should be expected, and that she priced the home to reflect the problems in the home due to age”.

At the end of the conversation she said that she looked forward to seeing the kind of report I write.

What do you think? Sounds like she politely wanted to let me know that my report better reflect the age of the home or I won't be getting referrals from them.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dharris

What do you think? Sounds like she politely wanted to let me know that my report better reflect the age of the home or I won’t be getting referrals from them.[/quote]

From my experience a few times YES

You can try to explain to here your report protects her as well as you
which likely won't make a difference, Where it WILL make a difference is with the customer, If you report items in the home as you see them , the buyers and there friends WILL call you back many times over the times a shady realtor will,
additionally she WILL call you for an inspection if she or family members are buying in the future

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

Windows are older single pane, wooden…consistent with age of home…can be air loss, hard to open…yadayadayada

electric service has not been updated, consistent with age of home..yadayadayada....but if there is a problem, always report it, honestly and fairly..don't sugar coat it!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: rshumake

I always tell the realtor that my reports reflect the actual condition of All the systems, and the people that are buying the house can make the JUDGEMENT for themselves as to whether it is inherent to the age of the house or an actual problem. The buyer knows the age of the house and can make that decision for themselves.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I daresay you’ve read the situation correctly Kevin. Just do it exactly as you would have if she had never called you, that’s the fairest (and most defendable) thing. If she chooses to take offense, you can’t stop her.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

kmcmahon wrote:
and that she priced the home to reflect the problems in the home due to age".

Did you ask her how much she priced the how to pay the buyers to buy it?

This is a beautiful older home, it only needs totally gutting and rebuilding. We will pay you to buy it.

Did you tell your client that, according to the real estate agent, the agent was telling them "Run Forest, run!".

I would advise my client of what the agent said, and remind them that ALL THOSE ITEMS SHOULD BE ON THE SELLER DISCLOSURE, because, they are (after all) KNOWN DEFECTS. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

And if those items ARE NOT on the seller disclosure, they (your client) needs to get a credit to cover the cost of all those items. That, if the agent objects, explain that she, the agent, revealed those items, yet they were NOT on the seller disclosure, and that, my dear agent IS FRAUD. Then ask her "Now, what was the number to the real estate commissions office?"

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: tallen

Kevin,

just inspect it like any other home.Don’t worry about the agent. Report what you see and sleep well icon_biggrin.gif Like Dan said, in the long run you win. icon_biggrin.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Oh that’s what I plan on doing…just thought it an interesting enough conversation to share with all of you.

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Did you ask her what kind of problems that SHE HAD, because SHE is OLDER? icon_wink.gif

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: dharris

In addition to hearing similar comments from your experience another common statement I hear

This should be a easy and clean inspection as the seller had a inspection 2 yrs ago and had everything fixed before they purchased it,] with the buyer present

After coming up with 10-15 items on a couple of these inspections I never heard from those realtors, nor did the realtor sell them there next home on 2 or more occasions

Quote:
I would like to thank you for your timely and complete inspection report. You did an excellent job with the report. I would also like to express my gratitude for your honesty regarding Mrs. Jahns actions. I reported to my disappointment to Parker realtors regarding this inappropriate action. They agreed with me that she had no business contacting you other than setting up an appointment for you to inspect the premises. I will galdly refer your buisness to anyone i can. Again i would like to thank you for your honesty and timely service.
Sincerly,
Levi

--

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

kmcmahon wrote:
Did the inspection and informed the client of the realtors comments.

Kevin, I bet you won't ever do that again. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: fmagdefrau

Well, I will do the inspection. So step aside and wait for another and get out of my way, why you worry about the kind of professional you should be.

Frank

Originally Posted By: fmagdefrau

Well, I will do the inspection. So step aside and wait for another and get out of my way, why you worry about the kind of professional you should be.

Frank

This is what could happen if you dont do it. Someone else will jump in and get paid.

Good luck

icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: jmurray

kmcmahon wrote:
![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!