Dirty Attic Insulation

So anyone have any idea what would cause this soot on attic insulation? I appreciate the feedback.

Richard, I lightened the pics for you for a better look. Based only on what I can see from them, it may just be years of dust and debris accumulation.

5 Likes

Thanks Tom! I considered that and then thought the chimney might be a contributing factor but didn’t see any smoot underneath the sheathing. House was built in 1940. Thanks for the feedback! How much I love report writing !!

1 Like

It looks like concrete dust?

1 Like

Well, that chimney in the back right corner of the 2nd pic will make us scratch our heads and could or may have contributed at some point. However, we would think that soot would also be visible on the rafters and roof sheathing, which makes me tend to lean towards “dirty” older insulation.

2 Likes

What types of ventilation did the attic have?

Was the house recently remodeled? Plaster dust sucked into the attic. The ductwork looks clean.

2 Likes

House was recently remodeled. Someone is flipping it. New duct work installed from basement to attic. Ventilation was gable louver and ridge vent. Roof shingles recently replaced - floor board sheathing remained in place.

1 Like

Insulation makes a fine filter. I am with @sbridges2 I suspect it is dust being drawn in, likely from cutting concrete or duraboard.

Did the house have an attic fan?

1 Like

Is that a gable vent? Lots of dirt/dust could have come in there, if it was one, before the flipper draped cloth over it.

You guys rock! Thanks for the input and yes that’s a gable vent up there covered. No attic fan. I always cut cementboard outside to avoid all the dust. That’s probably what it is… thanks again Gents!

1 Like