Discounted E&O from FREA

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As a member, you qualify for low association rates on medical, life, disability, retirement and more from Mutual of Omaha (where available). Call FREA for details.

There is no mention of Group Health being included in the E&O anywhere in my entire membership folder. And think about it. E&O is around 3K per year. I pay over 4K for health insurance for my family, and that is an inexpensive policy. Ain't no way it's in the E&O.

Originally Posted By: slanicek

Thanks for the info. I knew it sounded too good to be true that’s why I asked. A good friend of mine is out job searching right now and he has come across several companies advertising ‘with great benefits!’. Now, back when I was job hunting several years ago ‘great benefits’ meant that you only had to pay a percentage and the co. picked up the rest. He’s getting hit up for the entire cost of the plan! What the hell do you mean ‘with great benefits’ and he’s still being asked to pay $300/month !?!?!?

These are the days of our lives.......

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Wow, thanks Chris B.

We are starting a new NorCal NACHI Chapter this weekend, and that certainly will be a plus for Inspectors desiring to come over from other Associations.

My congratulations to all, and I'll look forward to the final outcome.

Nick, I'm looking forward to discussing this with you at Oakland this Saturday!

Ron Bracklow
NorCal NACHI President.

Come one, come all!! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler

Gentleman,

ok, a couple of things.

Thanks to Blaine on explaining the Health Care Benefits are NOT including in your costs when you purchase E&O from FREA. It is something that is offered as an additional benefit from FREA.

To Mr. Little, I have said it before and will say it one more time - the carrier we are utilizing in Canada will NOT allow us to extend any discounts to any group. If it were not for the buying power we brought to them and our success in managing claims from the HI’s and Home Appraisers in the States… those of you in Canada would have had no where to go except St. Paul and since they took 42 guys out of 500 in September a lot of guys would have no coverage, so lighten up on us. We are doing the best job we can with what is available in Canada. To tell me that I am going to regret it and I should learn a couple of things… well everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I sure do have a lot of guys and ladies that are very happy we came into Canada and did what we did and offered what we offered. We even took two years of retro coverage on at no extra cost… as an FYI… unheard of when one program goes away and the other (us) comes in. There was a reason ENCON dropped the CAPHI program, it wasn’t because they were making lots of money. Enough on this issue.

Mr. Farsetta, this is not Circuit City - but it never hurts to ask.

As of today, February 9, 2004...
ALL NACHI members that are current, have had completed 150 inspections or more (to bypass the candidate level) will receive a 10% discount on the listed E&O rates. Candidate level coverage will remain at the listed price of $3,500.00. New Home Inspectors to FREA (insured elsewhere or not at all... yet) and HI's that are currently with FREA will receive this discount. For the renewing current FREA members - this discount will apply to your next renewal with FREA. So if you just signed up or recently renewed prior to Feb. 9th, 2004 - the discount will take affect when your renewal comes up in 2004 or 2005. I will be forwarding a copy of the application to Nick and Chris that reflects these rates to put on your site or you can contact me directly to get one.
Nick should be making an announcement as well in regards to this.
I wish you all a great evening.
And I look forward to a continuing healthy open relationship.
Sincerely,

--
Chris Butler
(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Chris,

the Canadian issue not withstanding that is tremendous news, knowing how tough the insurance market has been over the last few years, I for one am please to see that your carrier will allow you to discount as deeply as 10%.

I hope that this discount proves to be justified and reflects the professionalism of our members as a whole. I would hope that in due course that your Canadian carrier is able to see the lower risk by associating with Nachi and it's members and that they will feel as generous to our colleages to the north.

Great result

I think I'll have a Merlot to celebrate ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Originally Posted By: asledzinski

Chris Butler wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,
a tremendous amount of you have been asking for some type of discount on Professional E&O from any of the providers listed on the NACHI site. So I wanted to update all of you on the ongoing discussions that have taken place between Nick and I on this issue over the recent months. FREA is willing to offer some form of discounted E&O for ALL NACHI members, due to the professionalism of you the members and the standards by which you practice. Nick and I are very close to finalizing the agreement between FREA and NACHI for all of you interested in lowering your insurance rates. Stay tuned for follow-up information to this next week.
Sincerely,
Quote:

ALL NACHI members within the United States. Canadian inspectors who are members of NACHI will still be unable to receive the discount as NO discounts are available to any group in Canada per the carrier’s stipulations. And as a Gerry stated earlier - everything is a work in progress.

Thanks,

Chris Butler

Originally Posted By: rnokes

Chris

I for one Canadian am glad that I was able to obtain insurance through FREA.

Here I was in Canada, over 15 years in the business, no claims, no complaints, past member of the Board in the Provincial Association and National Association, Chair of the Board of Examiners in the National. teach Home Inspection Course for a College, Facilitator for the Ministry of Housing and the Cement Association of Canada, Indoor Air Quality Investigator, etc etc.

I was turned down by the groups up here because I did other things like Indoor Air Quality, Teaching and doing Energy Management, all insured separately. Nothing to do with my Home Inspection ability, they acknowledged that.

My insurance from FREA was cheaper than the 42 guys got and with less deductible.

I think if NACHI and FREA work together and we get mediation services set up here, we to may be able to reduce our cost even further. But we have to prove ourselves first.

I thank you

Ron

Mr. Nokes,

YOU ARE WELCOME!!!

I appreciate your comments.

What a way to end the day…

take care everyone.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Quote:
HI's that are currently with FREA will receive this discount. For the renewing current FREA members - this discount will apply to your next renewal with FREA. So if you just signed up or recently renewed prior to Feb. 9th, 2004 - the discount will take affect when your renewal comes up in 2004 or 2005

So, in your 1st sentence, you give the impression that HIs currently enrolled will receive the discount. In your last sentence, you state that if a person signed up prior to Feb 9th, they must waut until next year or their next renewal time before being entitled to any discount.

When I signed with FREA in 2002, I was told what rate I could expect to see the following year. It was a substantially reduced rate. Here I go in Dec. of 2003, and the rate is not the same as the discount I was lead to believe. Okay, rising costs and all that.

So, nowt as a NACHI member for 18 months, and a FREA member for 14 months, I can expect NOTHING in the way of a discount from you folks. This is like adding insult to injury.

Add to that, the Circuit City remark, which wasn't warranted. I expected more than that reply. It was a legitimate question, and I am extermely dissapointed that I will have to wait for until the end of 2004 before I see any discounted bill.

To me, and to any other FREA/NACHI member who is already in your system, this is less than acceptable.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Joe:

Remember, FREA is under no obligation to give anyone any discounts. I think it would be tough (business-wise) on FREA to make it retroactive. Kind of like giving a discount on pizzas bought and eaten last week.

No?

What good is a discount if we discount FREA right out of business?

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

Although I missed the boat when I renewed my E&O in November, I am looking forward to the discount in Nov 2004. I just hope it is still in place.

BTW, FREA only has about 16 employees so things are a little slow to get done but they are very personable. I took out my policy when I changed carriers to FREA in Nov and just got my policy in the mail this week.

Have patience with them, they are always willing to help.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Nick,

I'm not expecting anything retroactive. I'm expecting that the discount will be applied to any payments moving forward. I just made my 1st installment payment to them last month. I havent even gotten my 2nd bill yet.

I paid them $450 for the right to be billed in installments over 8 months. If yu figure that $289 over 8 payments is approximately $36 per payment, why shouldnt I want to see a reduction of the remaining premium by $253?

These guys can do anything they want. I'm not suggesting they get discounted out of business. They would like more NACHI members to purchase E&O insurance from them, over all others. They are discounting new members, and old members who havent renewed yet. For those of us who have already renewed, we get nothing?

Tell me how this is fair? It's not like I want them to give me BACK money I've paid them. I'm simply asking for the new discount to be applied to my monthly premium moving forward.

--
Joe Farsetta

It might have to do with how they get paid. If you bought a Ford truck and financed it. Then the next month Ford announced a $1,000 cash back offer. Would you expect Ford to give you the prorated $1,000 back starting with your next truck payment?

Let's be happy that it is NACHI that is getting this discount.

Nick

I didn’t buy a truck.

If you bought an item at MAcys, and 29 days later it went on sale, NY law entitles the consumer a refund in the amount of the difference between the original and sale price.

As to how they get paid, my checks are written to FREA. My $450 went directly to FREA. They got the money, and continue to get it. This is how they get paid. When you buy a truck, the finance or leasing company pays the dealership for it, and the finance company is part owner. Not so with FREA. I'm sure this discount is with them, and not with the carrier. I believe they announced a similar deal with a certain other org, as eluded to on IN.com.

I am happy for NACHI. I want to be happy for me and all the other NACHI inspectors who have already renewed our policies with this firm. This is especially disheartening if FREA was in long negotiations with NACHI, and continues to allow the clock to tick, at the expense of some members.

THAT is definitely NOT cool...

--
Joe Farsetta

system.

But back to FREA: Members please call me with any risk reduction questions you might have. We want to reward FREA for rewarding us.

Nick

Originally Posted By: bsmith

This is great news! I appreciate all the hartd work that has gone into the E&O plan thus far. Looking forward to signing up. Way to go NACHI!!!

Bill Smith
Smith Home Inspection

Joe,

I think that Nick kind of hit it on the head with his initial comment about the pricing issue. When your policy was renewed and bought from the carrier, they bill the amount at that time to us, regardless if its on a payment plan or not. So asking for us to discount it now off of the membership fee you paid is asking for us to take a bigger hit as they (the carrier) will not re-rate the policy in mid-stream to reflect the discount. I agree in principal to your issue, but unfortunately they do not re-rate policies mid-stream.

Dear Mr. Remas,

thank you for the support. We have 12 employees here in San Diego , but the policies get done in New York at AIG and can sometimes take from 3-7 weeks to get back from them and then out to you. Trust me it is very frustrating, and is even magnified ten-fold sometimes, at the end of the year. As 35% of the businesses in the country renew on January 1st and it causes a massive backlog of paperwork to be done by the same amount of employees that they have all year. Carriers do not give any vacation time from Halloween until after the 1st just because of this issue. We would love to be able to do them ourselves, but that will never happen. I hope this clarifies the delays we face from the carrier. It is not an excuse just the parameters we work within. Once again thanks for your understanding and support.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

Quote:
New Home Inspectors to FREA (insured elsewhere or not at all... yet) and HI's that are currently with FREA will receive this discount.
I was told that there is no discount until you have completed all their requirements. and make it to their level A, B, or C. then and only then will you receive a discount.

SO, my question is. as a new guy coming into this business where are the breaks for us? $3500. up front for insurance is steep. and the $350 to "enroll" in the payment plan seems a bit steep also. My auto, home, life, and other insurances do not charge me an "enrollment fee" for making monthly payments.

Chris, what is the answer? Who really gets the discounts and WHEN do they get the discounts and what is the amount of the discount???

Scott Smith

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.