Do you have a Carbon Monoxide detector installed in your home?

Just a quick pole to see how many here have a CO detector installed :slight_smile:

The Maple Trust Inspections blog has an entry on CO that includes a short video put out by Health Canada.

2011 Minnesota Statutes


Subdivision 1.Generally.

Every single family dwelling and every dwelling unit in a multifamily dwelling must have an approved and operational carbon monoxide alarm installed within ten feet of each room lawfully used for sleeping purposes.

Subd. 2.Owner’s duties.

The owner of a multifamily dwelling unit which is required to be equipped with one or more approved carbon monoxide alarms must:
(1) provide and install one approved and operational carbon monoxide alarm within ten feet of each room lawfully used for sleeping; and
(2) replace any required carbon monoxide alarm that has been stolen, removed, found missing, or rendered inoperable during a prior occupancy of the dwelling unit and which has not been replaced by the prior occupant prior to the commencement of a new occupancy of a dwelling unit.

Subd. 3.Occupant’s duties.

The occupant of each dwelling unit in a multifamily dwelling in which an approved and operational carbon monoxide alarm has been provided and installed by the owner must:
(1) keep and maintain the device in good repair; and
(2) replace any device that is stolen, removed, missing, or rendered inoperable during the occupancy of the dwelling unit.

Subd. 4.Battery removal prohibited.

No person shall remove batteries from, or in any way render inoperable, a required carbon monoxide alarm.

Subd. 5.Exceptions; certain multifamily dwellings and state-operated facilities.

(a) In lieu of requirements of subdivision 1, multifamily dwellings may have approved and operational carbon monoxide alarms installed between 15 and 25 feet of carbon monoxide-producing central fixtures and equipment, provided there is a centralized alarm system or other mechanism for responsible parties to hear the alarm at all times.
(b) An owner of a multifamily dwelling that contains minimal or no sources of carbon monoxide may be exempted from the requirements of subdivision 1, provided that such owner certifies to the commissioner of public safety that such multifamily dwelling poses no foreseeable carbon monoxide risk to the health and safety of the dwelling units.
© The requirements of this section do not apply to facilities owned or operated by the state of Minnesota.

**History: **

2006 c 260 art 3 s 21

Thanks Jefferey. Indeed many states and municipalities have legal requirements for the installation of Carbon Monoxide detectors, however many do not. One day they may be as commonly legislated as smoke alarms.

What is the dominant feeling? Is this overkill or overdue?

Long overdue. People are stupid. It’s like the cemetary joke… people are just dying to get in. Next they should push for them all to be hardwired (so far new construction only) so they can’t take the batteries out to shut them off!

No Nanny State comments please. People are generally stupid, and couldn’t give a damn about their neighbors (smoke alarms) or house guests (CO detectors). It’s usually the innocents that get hurt by the actions, or inactions, of the ignorant and lazy.

If the Home is Electric,
(no gas utility)
without Garage
Why would a CO Detector be needed or required…??

Bad breath? Or probably these…

Long overdue… Even if the home isn’t piped for gas, portable propane and kerosene heaters can be brought into the home at any time. Hard wired CO detectors for everyone!

Andrew Constantine
InspectPro Home Inspections
Serving NC and SC :roll:
Charlotte Home Inspections](

The State of Washington enacted new legislation requiring the SELLER to install a CO detector before the home can be occupied.

We are all electric with detached garage. I don’t use space heaters, and don’t bring the bbq inside. I wouldn’t want one in the house after taco / burrito night although my wife might appreciate the warning for the SBD… :shock:

LoL Steve:

I have all electric appliances and dont use my gas furnace. I still have one because its is cant hurt but could help.

Check the 2009 IRC 315.1 - New construction with fuel burnming appliances or an attached garage require a CO alarm. I recommend buying one that sounds at 9 ppm not 70 ppm after 1-4 hours like the big box stores sell!