Do You Start The Furnace On Hot Days

My reporting system has a box to tick that says “Heating system not operated due to exterior temperature”. I’d like to find out what most do.

I can think of no heating system where that makes sense.

Do not rely on canned comments of report software or checklists.

They have been found to full or errors.

I always try to run the heating system. If the house has AC easy to get the house cool when entering so clients are cold then crank up the heat so the client is hot. Russel Ray had good recommendations to freeze, then cook the client that way they remember the systems operating.:smiley:

Only time it is hard is on days of extreme heat with no AC and boiler heat.

Your reporting system appears to be in direct conflict with the standard of practice. Before publishing any reports with it, I think you should closely review all of the pre-written comments to see what others there are that might get you in serious trouble. What software do you use?

I always run a test on Furnaces and ac Units .
If too cold I do not run AC units and write the reason why TOO COLD TO TEST AC.

Hows this sound

temperatures below 65 degrees AC not operated, temperatures above 65 degrees furnace not tested. Due to the outside temperatures the furnace and AC were not tested.

I am kidding of course and I am not trying to start trouble.

I believe that is the case only with heat pumps operating on heat on hot days.

1 Like

From C&D home reference .
Sever damage can occur to Air conditioning compressors if they are turned on when the outside temperature is below 65°F (16°C).
Some compressors contain a small heating element ( crankcase heater) that must be on for 12 to 24 hours prior to the compressor starting up.

I don’t see why that would matter, isn’t that no different than running the A/C if you turn it on after having been shut down for a while in the summer? (like in a vacant house)

I found this a couple of weeks ago

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-109353.html

Just the opposite. I cook 'em first and then cool them down. I don’t want them leaving all hot at me.

I let the heating system run until people start coming to me to complain about how hot it is. Then I do the same with the cooling system. Only when they complain do I turn the system off.

So far I’ve only needed the complaints once in 11 years and a little over 11,000 inspections. Inspection was in March and Client moved in, in September. She leased the property back to the Sellers for six months, with no security deposit! System didn’t work when she moved in and I simply reminded her about her complaints when I was doing the inspection. “Oh, yeah,” she quietly said.

Just the other day I had a three family. No AC, vacant, top floor indoor temp was 85+. Thermostat only went as high as 82. Could not get furnace to run. 2nd and 1st floors were cool enough to run the furnaces.

Perhaps the thermostat was locked to not go over 82 degrees in heating mode. I often find them locked in new constructions to prevent the different RE agents from cranking up the A/C and forgetting to reset the temperature before leaving.

Try this.

http://www.galco.com/buy/Techspray/1672-10S

I used to use it back in the day. :wink:

1 Like

Regarding Heat Pumps: Page 4 First column

Actually it might apply to heat pumps in the winter. Mine will not operate below 30 due to settings at the thermostat. Changing that lock out would definately be outside the SOP for an inspector and one might then use that comment on the report.

• Do not operate your unit in cooling mode when outdoor
temperatures are below 55°F unless your unit was modified
for low-ambient operation.

• Do not operate your unit in heating mode when outdoor
temperatures are above 66°F unless you set your thermostat
to emergency heat mode.

It’s the AHIT reporting system.

Thanks. We need to warn people about that program.

Often, new inspectors will purchase these programs that pre-write their reports with the idea that they can simply add photos and “click” on the closest canned comment that describes them … a recipe for disaster.

I love AHIT reports. Many of my competitors use them. :wink: