Does plug in test of GFCI void manf wrrnty

I had an electrician recently inform me that using a plug in tester to check GFCI receptacle function will void the warranty on the receptacles or breakers? Anyone hear of this one?

John Wickline
JW Home Inspections, Inc.
Hilton Head, SC
JWINspect@hargray.com

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
The only thing I would agree with is that using the little button is usless.
They have their own test button.

How could they even prove you did anyway?
He was pulling your leg .

Well said Bob. Someone might argue, but how could it be determined that it had been tested?

Chris the only test approved for a GFCI recepticle is the test button on the recepticle.
I suppose the Sparky was thinking along the lines of the tester causing a problem some how which is crazy.
Of course you would still whish to use the three light test or (sure test)

I totally agree!

From a home inspection standpoint I also agree.

Well sometimes I do it anyway.
Can’t help myself.
It’s like popping the bubble wrap.

There is a little camera inside those devices that takes a picture of what is taking place when they get tripped.

This is transmitted to the GFCI police located at a secret place that no one knows about for editing.

Once the warranty is voided these pictures are used as proof of whom or what was tripping them.

I sure wanted to practice typing so I came up with this off the top of my head so I could practice. It only took me one hour to get the job done. Does it sound pretty good?

Maybe this statement should be said about this post.

The average person in Chicago is video taped at least twenty times a day Mike , so nothing suprises me.
With the goofballs in Cal wanting to remote control your private property why should I think you are joking.
By the way you have a small crumb hanging at the corner of your mouth.
Oh never mind it just fell.

As strange as this post sounds, i am sitting here eating a cookie.

I know.

The product is Listed by UL and further evaluated here and in the UL Standard:

Thanks for the feedback and a few laughs
kinda sorta mirrors my thoughts on his comment but ya never know
Oh by the way, did I mention the “electrician” was working at Home Depot?

Ok , same go’s for AFCI testers Joe.

Our Home Depots are full of out of work electricians, plumbers, etc.!

I use the test button on my little plug in tester, but not at the GFCI itself. I don’t know another way to test the downstream receptacles to see if they are GFCI protected.

If that was the case then testing outdoor/kitchen receptacles that are protected down stream of a GFCI would also “void the warranty”. Quite a few sparkies are installing 1 GFCI to protect 2-4 receptacles downstream.

If a GFCI receptacle is present I (usually) use the test button on that particular receptacle. If I see a non-GFCI receptacle I’m hitting the button on my tester. As Bob said … “it’s like popping bubble wrap” sometimes I just gotta pop it. :smiley:

Blaine:

Try testing this way, take a volt meter and test between the small slot on the right side which is the hot leg and then to the screw holding the plate, if that screw is of metal, the GFCI will trip, I just tried that in my own bathroom.

Isn’t that doing the same thing as the button, shorting to ground?

If the camera-in-the-GFCI is true I am going to start taking a shower with my clothes on. :slight_smile:

Dick

This test will identify the energized ungrounded “hot” conductor “small slot” and the equipment ground at the 6/ 32 screw, or you could touch the tester’s prong to the sink’s metal handle.