Doing Damage During an Inspection: It's Your Job.

So this should end the shower pan test debate :slight_smile:

A member needed the article today to point an angry, post-inspection seller to. This article calmed the seller down.

I will be posting it on my site as well.

I got a few of the same complaint in a row recently, regarding cheap aluminum garage doors.

I disagree but you will interrupt it that way if looking for justification in the same way guys use a 2x4 to see it the pressure stop retracts at 12 - 14 lbs and ruin the door.

From the article…When you perform any type of testing to verify functionality, you’re using normal operating controls under normal conditions, assuming regular maintenance.

People do not put stoppers in their showers or 2x4 wood under a thin aluminum door under normal operation but do as wish.

I can easily put 14 lbs pressure on a door with my hand and not cause the homeowner an “expensive car door replacement” cost just to prove what a smart guy I am.
Common sense goes a long way.

You guys can argue the rest but I am right and my clients or any consumer reading this would agree.:wink:

Hence, the smile Bob. That particular debate will always go on :slight_smile:

Visually check it first, before you touch a switch, or operate it. A lot of inspectors are in a hurry, and will just punch a button before looking at an item. Trouble awaits them in doing the hurry-up inspection. Using fancy tools in some inspections only causes worry to the RE in attendance, as damages may result. Keep it simple, IMO.

Sorry but the garage door manufacturer states that is the way to test so you are wrong about using your hand.:razz:

Well as mentioned it is about common sense as the garage door manufacturers have their on profits in mind and will be happy to sell more of those cheap products they make now in days.:frowning:

Yeah has me talking to myself.

Maybe they don’t but they ARE supposed to. The Federal mandatory label that comes with every garage door operator for the U.S. residential market since 1993 tells the consumer to do exactly that.

It’s every bit as much a standard operation as pressing the test button on a GFCI outlet.

If you don’t want the debate resurrected, don’t bring it up by making inaccurate assertions.

If the installation of a motorized operator is defective, it is many times visibly observable without the need to test…
Testing to prove the defect by causing damage, should not be the objective of the test…

I use my arm. 30%, maybe more, of the garage doors I test, fail. At least 25% of those would be damaged by using a 2x4. That is too big a chance to take based on today’s litigious society of people wanting something for nothing. I don’t have time to defend myself in small claims court. That can take a whole day or more. Each to his own.

What we dont kick holes in the wall ?

Nick wrote and approves of it, it must be ok… NOT!
last sentence from this tripe
“It’s not your responsibility to repair something; it’s your responsibility to break it!”

Nick wrote and approves of it, it must be ok… NOT!
last sentence from this tripe
“It’s not your responsibility to repair something; it’s your responsibility to break it!”

In the context of the article, if something breaks for you at the inspection during normal operation (ex: a closet door falls off when you open it), it is not only not your fault that it broke… it may be your job to break it (by opening it)… and therefore not your responsibility to have it repaired.

Use this simple test: If it would break, during normal use, for your clients on the day they moved into the house… could you imagine that your clients (rightly or wrongly) might call you and complain, even if it wasn’t your job to check it? If your answer is “yes”… then it would not be your fault that it broke at the inspection during normal operation, if you did happen to check it. And certainly not you responsibility to have it repaired.

I agree with Nick. Some years back I went up an old set of pull down stairs and rode them down to the floor in a garage in Port St. Lucie, FL.

The RE Listing Agent walked into the garage and saw me sitting on the floor and asked ‘What are WE going to do about this?’

I replied “YOUR SELLER will have to replace the stairs”.:wink:

In this case, my client, who witnessed the incident, was about 70 y.o. I was glad it was me and not him!

Good post.