Double tapping question

I called out a double tap on a square “D” 100 amp box last week. Today the electrician who was called in to correct it said that there was no problem with this because Square D was the only box allowed to have a double tap on a 40 amp cb for a range and a B/I Dutch oven. I can not find in any of my books where it says this, so before I open my mouth and insert my foot I thought I would ask here first? :mrgreen:

He is correct. Did the breaker wire connection look like this (see image)?

I like to go to Home Depot and Lowes on occasion just to walk through the various sections of the store just to see what is out there. There are constantly new items coming out that we as Home Inspectors need to know about. I get to pick them up and handle them without getting my yoyo knocked into my watchpocket unlike inside a live panel or system. Square D has had these brkrs around for years and you will run across them. You can get a real education just by hitting the Home Centers and pilfering thru their shelves. Plus it gets me out of the house and yard work.

I have never seen a 40a breaker with the square plate termination, only the hole with the set screw and that type is only rated for one conductor.

To answer your question, No… But I was able to contact a supplier of Square D and they did say they could do it if the right breaker was used. But when I describe the setup they said it didn’t sound right. They recommended that another breaker be added for the other wire. They did state that even if the correct breaker was used. The the for the range and the dutch oven setup, it would really be a strain on the breaker. Thanks for the help and the tips on this question…

“A strain on the breaker?”

That doesn’t even pass the laugh test.

Square D breakers are not the only breakers rated for two conductors, but as Greg implied, I don’t think there is a 40 amp breaker with that listing. Generally, it’s only the 15 and 20 amp breakers that allow more than one conductor - when listed accordingly.

SqD 30s can also have the square washer that takes 2 wires. They make both styles in a 30 so have an option when larger wire sizes are used.

Quite possibly the fellow electrician is confused with 210.19(A)(3) Ex. 1 when he is talking taps…tehhehehe

No, a 40A Sq D breaker is not rated for (2) conductors and no he can’t use 210.19(A)(3) for this either…I was just throwing that one in for FUN

Jeff writes:

I think Cutler Hammer CH circuit breakers are UL listed for 2 wires as well.

Yes …Mr. G…you are correct as CH and QO are both listed for (2) conductors of the same size…:wink: However, it is important to note that this applies up to 30A only…once you get above that then terminations on these brands do not allow multiple conductors unless the terminal is EXPRESSLY listed as such …and they wont in regards to breakers…:wink:

That’s why I like this board so well - great questions, and great answers. I haven’t seen this yet, so now if I see it in the next 24 hours, I won’t have to ask! (More than 24 hours, I’ll forget I ever read it…:()

andrew thats why we answer the SAME questions…over…and over…and over…and over…and over…and over…and over…

What question? :smiley:

You boys need a FAQ page

lol…you ain’t SH*TIN Greg…or they can use the SEARCH FEATURE built into this forum.

Maybe Gerry can whip up a FAQ. It might even rise to the level of a “product” NACHI can sell or offer to members. You folks do cover a lot of ground here and I bet a fraction of a percent of NACHI members ever actually look in.

A compilation of things you have discussed might be worth some official scrutiny. I am sure NACHI owns anything we posted here.
… certainly with my permission on my gibberish :wink:

Nah…I retain ownership of my content…lol…check is in the mail I am sure…lol…NOT