Drip leg whatever Trap; Installment Location

Are you telling us that the sediment trap is installed correctly?

1 Like

Just wait for the TPRV on this one… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

Yes. Do you think a particle of sediment is going to jump the branch of that tee fitting? The code book may illustrate the sediment trap on the bottom of a tee however it does not say that it the only configuration. Let’s use a little common sense.

1 Like

I don’t know what that is but a sediment trap is required at this appliance unless one is integral.

1 Like

A Rudd manual shows a sediment trap but states a drip leg. Not sure if this manual goes with your particular furnace but my guess is that all Rudd manuals show the same graphic.

1 Like

What if the gas was supplied from below and not above? It will not look like the picture. The sediment trap is installed close to the appliance and that is what is required.

3 Likes

I feel like a proper sediment trap could still be installed with the gas supplied from below, as opposed to a drip leg that is installed in the OP’s picture. With that being said, the Rudd manual is conflicting on whether it requires a drip leg or a sediment trap.

The code is clear, you have to do as shown, not as what you think makes “more sense” to you. Now, you are more than welcome to disagree with the code, but you will have to get the panel to update the code for me to agree with you. Until then, the OP’s pic shows incorrectly executed sediment trap.

Ryan I thin there is confusion on the definition of what a drip leg is and what a sediment trap is. Dip legs went away decades ago.

1 Like

Then why does Rudd still state “drip leg” in their manual, but show a sediment trap? :joy:

Yup there is a tee with a nipple of any length in the OP photo. I don’t see a problem with the install. In fact I’ve seen that configuration approved in dozens of cities that follow the IPC .

1 Like

Not all manuals are written in the same language as code books.

1 Like

Space City Inspections clarifies it for us here. They are CMI so…

https://www.spacecityinspections.com/2013/07/Drip-Leg-VS-Sediment-Trap.html

Oh no don’t say that :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

You just quoted fro the Drip Leg Kids website.

1 Like

Lol, that’s hilarious. Is that true? I didn’t know that if it was. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

A tee fitting with a nipple of any length installed vertically in the bottom most opening part of the tee. Yup ! Read the code !!!

I heard you loud and clear all the way from New York! :slight_smile:

However, you’re not hearing me, the piping is not executed per illustration as required by the code. They even “show and specify” to you where the supply and branch is to be. Just because someone approved it does not make it up to code or correct. The code inspectors are to enforce code, not make up their own theories. Either they don’t know better or don’t consider it a big deal or perhaps even care. But the question was… is it correct or not. Anyway, if you cannot see what is written and or pictured in the code, I will let others do their own homework :slight_smile:

PS: as illustrated! am I speaking Chinese lol

Simon it is but an illustration.

If you read the words above the illustration you will see that Thomas’s installation does not violate the code. The sediment trap is installed on the bottom of a tee per code. Now if the code book said the gas must come from above and make a 90 degree change of direction over the sediment trap we would not be having this discussion.

The reason this installation has been approved is because it does meet the written code requirements.

The phrase “as illustrated” refers to the bottom of the tee and sediment trap configuration.

Just for a little fun… :nauseated_face:

• Sediment traps are basically for the purposes of catching sediment and contaminates in a gas line.

• Drip legs are basically for catching condensate and moisture in a gas line.

3 Likes