Drip leg whatever Trap; Installment Location

I know this has been hashed around a good bit, but usually I see 1 out of 20 furnaces that I inspect being Propane/Gas fueled. This line and sediment trap was the first I have seen. I have always seen the shut off valve located on the vertical pipe upstream of the elbow with the trap being located at the bottom of a vertical run, with a horizontal tee located directly above and leading to the unit.

My guess is this configuration is improperly installed?

trap

In my opinion it is a proper drip leg but it is not a sediment trap.

3 Likes

We’ll need clarification from our “expert”…if he ever shows up again, :shushing_face: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So as a “drip leg”, does the location serve the intended purpose?

I suppose it does. I’m no HVAC tech but if the home had multiple appliances being served by the gas line, I would install the drip leg as soon as possible after entry into the home. But if only the furnace is being served, the location is probably ok. But it is still not a sediment trap! :rofl:

The shutoff valve does not have to be on a vertical part of the gas pipe, but the dirt leg needs change of direction and is thus improperly installed.

PS: in your report, call it sediment trap :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here we go with the sedimental drip again. LOL :laughing:

4 Likes

Oh no. A 3rd term? Lets keep it to drip leg and sediment trap, please, and thank you. :rofl:

Ok. not going there. I edited the topic to what the fuk anyone wants to call it. Just trying to to clarify if it’s ok.

1 Like

It’s ok, unless a sediment trap is required by the manufacture or your AHJ.

Thanks Simon. That’s what I thought…

I bet the guy that installed it was licensed :slight_smile:

1 Like

They call it a Drip Tee in the picture below, but just in case anybody cares, there is actually a purpose for both configurations.

A drip tee/trap is not required at the appliance.

1 Like

I agree with your statement.

I see nothing wrong with this install.

1 Like

Drip Leg (Sediment Trap) for Fuel Piping | NC Water Heaters Raleigh

Virtually nothing is/was required in my area when this system was put in. It’s not in violation of anything or has to be noted as in need of correction or not. I was more interested for leaning reasons, which is still not absolute, but based on my area, it seems trivial enough to pass on and let the next inspector bring it up.

Thanks Martin. All the clarification I need! :wink:

2 Likes

Between sediment trap requirements and TPRV discharge piping there will always be confusion on this forum :wink:

2 Likes