Drip pan

Originally Posted By: Rafael
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

hi

does the condensate tray above the drip pan have its own pipe to drip into the drip pan or does it drip into the drip pan from the condensate pipe. the picture here shows both pipes from the condensate tray.see picture .can someone explain how this operates.

thanks for your help

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/t/tray.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: tpope

The secondary condensate pipe (right side) will drip into the pan if the primary drain gets clogged. There should also be piping (not shown in photo) from the overflow pan to the exterior as well.

Timothy Pope

www.craftsmaninspections.com

Austin, Tx Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

the drainage system Tim speaks of is probably hidden to the left and back behind the underside of the unit. usualy a “T” fitting and smaller pipe fitted to the wall of the drip pan.

Originally Posted By: Rafael

yes the drainage system was in the back .So is the picture the correct setup?

Originally Posted By: tpope

Looks good to me.

Timothy Pope

www.craftsmaninspections.com

Austin, Tx Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif Correct me if I am wrong, but make sure that the condensate drain goes in to an indirect waste line and trapped.

Marcel

you are correct marcel. but I think that the “trap” is that little bend in the pipe just outside the pan. not sure if pan has it’s own drain line or not. but it should. icon_wink.gif

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Jay;

On all the Commercial jobs I work on, I have noticed that the installations have shown a drip trap coming out of the unit and then deposited into an indirect waste line which was also trapped.

Maybe someone can elaborate on this issue. Someone from California, probably will.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications on this subject.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: dandersen

This setup is not correct!

This will discharge supply air into the unconditioned space through the vertical pipe above the trap as it is on the other side of the water trap. A furnace is a blow through system (furnace first, a/c coil next. This puts a positive pressure on the drain system.

Air will also discharge through the aux drain.

This air leakage puts the living space of the house in a negative pressure and is an efficiency issue and could draw contaminated air (Radon & Mold) from the basement-crawlspace.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

David why would you say the system is in the basement?

System looks fine to me.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/3/398braddock_127.JPG ]

How NOT to install an attic drip pan! Notice the pan within a pan within a pan! Both the drains are going into the same pipe.

After seeing the secondary drain outside with rust stains, the conclusion I came to is someone mistakenly ran the main drain to the secondary over the garage door. Instead of running a new drain, they just tapped the pan drain into the main drain line, using the pan as the primary drain. I like the way they put the pans inside each other, so in case one rusts out, the next one will last a while. Eventually, someone would need a ceiling repaired.

The crazy thing is the selling agent getting all over my case, saying it looked good to him!! Sigh!

Us stoopid home inspecters jest don’t know nuttin! icon_rolleyes.gif

What was the foil wrap on the 90 degree elbow for and the 90 degree elbow with the cut off for?

Marcel

[quote=“mcyr”]icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

What was the foil wrap on the 90 degree elbow for and the 90 degree elbow with the cut off for?

Marcel[/quote

yo...da foil rap is called BLING BLING dawg. and da cut elbo......sorry i just rememered.... i'm white...

mcyr wrote:
![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Marcel

The foil I have no idea. The cut off 90 degree ell is for what SHOULD have been the secondary drain. The original main drain ran to that secondary line. The secondary was run directly over the garage door, which I'm sure Mr. Homeowner didn't like, and was an incorrect installation anyway. Whoever was called to fix it just cut the secondary line, and ran the main AND the secondary into the attic pan, which is running into what should be the MAIN line. Somebody installed it bass ackwards to begin with, and the fix is just as bad. The attic pan should NEVER be used as the primary drain, for obvious reasons.

I agree.

Marcel