Dryer Vent

Originally Posted By: dmacy
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/5/57805_Garfield_Heights_005_Small.jpg ]

Thanks Dave

Originally Posted By: jfunderburk

“Dryer exhaust systems…shall convey the moisture to the outdoors and shall terminate on the outside of the building.”

Additionally, "flexible transition ducts...shall...not...exceed 8 feet....ducts shall not be concealed within construction."

Reference: 2003 International Residential Code, M1501.1

You are correct...a duct snaking behind walls and which discharges into a bucket is a safety concern. (What happens when the scrub woman fails to empty the bucket?)

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

I would also add that flexible plastic piping is a danger to use period.

Refer to MFG. installation instructions for proper venting methods.

16 to 18 thousand dryer fires a year due to lint build up.. These plastic "pipes" are the worse thing to use.

Smooth metal piping with minimal elbows and no fasteners protruding into piping.

Here is a link for you guys:

http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vhouse/articles/dryer.htm

Originally Posted By: dmacy

I usually add to the report or email attatchment the link from the CPSC pertaining to the dryer vent material.

Dave

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

I Inspected a home for a fire fighter this AM. I pointed out the plastic duct, and he confirmed that his department gets plentry of calls resulting from their use, including a fire that burned up half a house last week.

Originally Posted By: ekartal5

pbolliger wrote:

Smooth metal piping with minimal elbows and no fasteners protruding into piping.

Worth repeating. A frequently overlooked part of a home inspection. Fastners, sheet metal screws in a dryer vent are a serious problem. In my report I indicate that the problem needs to be corrected NOW.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: mgault

pbolliger wrote:

16 to 18 thousand dryer fires a year due to lint build up.. These plastic "pipes" are the worse thing to use.

http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vhouse/articles/dryer.htm

Got a 404 documant not found...
did it say "16-18 thousand fires" in that article? ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) -Mike

Originally Posted By: dandersen

This appliance it is owned by the current homeowner?

The home inspection really should not concern their application dryer vents. However, is there an external drive and available anywhere ? If not, note that there is no external dryer vent available and is recommended if a dryer is installed.

With all the concern for mold issues, this is a great source of excessive moisture, isn't it? ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

The local gas company training had a video of a fire official standing outside his BURNT house due to one of these plastic dryer vent pipe!!

Not only are we talking about a CO problem (if Natural Gas unit) but a fire problem. Lint is a huge problem with any dryer.

If you check the MFG. install instruction you will see the proper exhausting methods but who keeps the documents... right.. Same with Water heater and FAU.. Sometimes the booklets are missing...hmmmm

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Quote:
did it say "16-18 thousand fires" in that article? -Mike

Mike

The article gave the number at 16,800 for 1997.

The office space I rent was occupied by a fire investigation company. During my original walk through they had the warehouse portion filled with the fire sources. There were at least 4 dyers, a washer, and a very large acrylic fish take. It was amazing to see all of these appliances burned. Made me stop and look around the house when I got home. My major concern at the moment is the Christmas tree. The lights are on ALL day for the boys....

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Clothes Dryers Fire Statistics

In 1997, according to the United States Consumer Products Safety Commission, there were 16,800 residential fires reported and responded to by fire departments where the source of the fire was the clothes dryer or vent. These fires caused $97.3 million in damage, 430 civilian injuries, and 30 civilian deaths.1