Electric Hot Water Tank In Attic

I saw this was discussed a bit a few years ago. Reviving because I seen today a TPR valve line piped into the garage onto the floor next to where car would park. My concern is that could be super heater steam / water exploding onto the concrete floor at a time least expected. This makes me think safety issue.
Any guidance?

It is what you think it is.
You are present, seeing the conditions with your own eyes, and you are a trained inspector, right?
Report what you see, offering your opinion(s), which is what you are being paid for.

4 Likes

The code says it has to be discharged between 1.5" and 6" of floor in a visible location.

If you think you should add to that concern, then feel free.

4 Likes

I would be surprised if there was any “exploding” going on. The valve will open and probably just release a small stream of water and/or steam. If it’s at the floor, I’d call it good.

2 Likes

Such as when exiting the vehicle after pulling into the garage??
Seems like a legit concern to me.

How long you live in MInnesota?
You always had heated garages?
Do a test… turn OFF your garage/shop heat for a few days and let the concrete freeze… dump a bucket of boiling water on the slab and watch what (may) happen…
Be sure to wear your safety glasses!

1 Like

My guess is that virtually nothing will happen.

In MN though, I would advise against routing the drain line to an unheated area. A slow trickle from the valve could cause ice blockage.

2 Likes

No more dangerous than walking by a water heater in the basement

7 Likes

Since the water heater is in the attic the TPR extension needs to terminate somewhere, so as longs as the extension pipe doesn’t have more than 4 ea 90 degree elbows, isn’t a trip hazard, and if it were to open full force, that it would not be a potenital scald hazard, and since you mentioned it’s at the floor you should be okay there, I doubt I would write it up.

But if you think it may be a safety hazard, then by all means call it out as such.

2 Likes

Sorry, It is at waist high to me. It evacuates onto the garage floor.

Wow, you really have led a sheltered life as a child.
So sad. :frowning:

Then I would write it up as not properly installed and as a potential safety hazard.

4 Likes

Kinda passive aggressive of you. Nice job! That’s how we roll in MN! :rofl:

1 Like

I agree with Kevin. The height is worthy of a write-up, but not the location, from what we know right now.

3 Likes

That is not consistent with the TPRV discharge that I experienced.

That is consistent with the one TRPV discharge I’ve experienced.

Are you not paying attention?
Granted, a diagram wasn’t posted, but c’mon, did he really need to?
I know many people that walk around their cars after pulling into the garage.

Is there a location where someone wouldn’t be surprised by a discharge from the TPR Valve?

My water heater and discharge point is pretty close to where we have storage shelving and a chest freezer. Are you saying my wife wouldn’t be surprised to be impaled by a hot water explosion at that location, but would be surprised in the garage?

1 Like

“Oh My!! Must be the TPR valve on the water heater…”

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone that walks around their car after pulling in the garage. I’ve walked around the car several times while checking tires or after an unexpected road strike. I would think one would notice a substantial TPRV discharge as soon as the garage door opened, subtle leaks like Ryan described would be more likely discovered while doing other activities in the garage.

What’s with this pansy-ass “surprised BS”?
Nobody cares if you’re a ‘scaredy-cat’ who jumps everytime something goes ‘Boo’!
It’s all about safety and being harmed by the unexpected release from a household appliance.
Jehebus… next thing you know, someone will get sued for their DW Burping and scaring them when discharging waste water down the kitchen plumbing!!