New waterheater Question

Originally Posted By: mwiggs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/w/waterheater.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: cbottger

In my inspection area all hot water heaters are required to have a relief valve and a downspout to within 6 inches of the floor.

Also in my area electric water heaters are not required to be raised in height no matter of location garage or not.

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

waiting to happen. This w/h should be red flagged immediately.

I also have a nice diagram for you. It'll show you were the valve gets installed amongst other parts for a typical electric water heater.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii

Michael,

In my area electric water heaters can be on the floor. Gas water heaters must be 18 inches above a garage floor. The TPR valve must be installed and may either be plumbed to the exterior 6 inches above grade with a copper pipe faceing the ground or can be plumbed to a drain as long as the end of the TPR drain pipe extends in to the drain to 3 inches

Ron Chorey

LAS CRUCES Home Inspections

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jpope

It looks like this may be the discharge for the TPR.

![](upload://qKUnrNJvC96eFBzXrFk27bw7oXf.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jerry gallman

Michael,

I dont want to sound like a d**k, but those were questions that we learned in basic plumbing inspections. If you are doing home inspections, are you inspecting while finishing your training? I ask this in the spirit of hoping that if that is the case, you may want to protect yourself as well as your clients by completing any courses first. The vultures out there will look to eat you alive if you miss something of major expense or safety.

Please dont take offense to my question, as we all are here to learn what we can.

--
Jerry Gallman
1-2 Call Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: Gary Burnett

Michael,

In Texas even an electric water heater must be elevated. Our SOP requires us to mark in need of repair any" burners, burner ignition devices or heating elements, switches or thermostats that are not a minimun of 18 inches above the lowest garage floor elevation".

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Gary,

I'm glad you brought this up.

Electric water heaters do become an issue and some areas do require this "off the floor height" on electric w/h's because the water heater thermostat energizes the heating element when the water temperatures within the tank falls below a certain selected level.

At the instant the thermostat activates, a spark results. This spark is a source of ignition for flammable or combustible vapors, (i.e., gasoline) that may have accumulated along the floor of the garage. The 18-inch elevation is intended to keep ignition sources above these vapors that are heavier than air and settle to the garage floor.

Good Point.

Also, Welcome to NACHI.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: mgoldenberg

All heaters need to have a pressure relief valve. We are not calling “code” here. It is a matter of safety. Steam travels REAL quick - someone could be seriously injured.

www.alltropic.com