electric or gas heat?

Originally Posted By: mcasavant
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

if an external heat pump is present and working, would the furnace always be electric, even if there are gas appliances. icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: gbell

I would have to answer yes. I have never seen a heat pump with emergency gas heat. The only ones I have seen have an electric heat strip.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: mcasavant

thanks icon_exclaim.gif

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Michael

Yes, you can have a heat pump with a gas furnace back-up and not have electric strip heat.

Most folks set them up on an outside thermostat so that when the tempature gets to a certain point the gas furnace takes over.

Reggie

Originally Posted By: cradan

unit. I’m sure it’s a bit different down South…

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: dedwards

They sure do make “dual fuel” heat pumps. Not very common but they are out there. There are even oil fired auxilliary heat for heat pumps. There is even one I helped to install in a new custom home that used the water heater as the source of heat without losing any efficiency for either unit. We tend to see the same old off the shelf equipment every day but there is some pretty sophisticated systems available if someone wants to pay the bucks for it. My sister is building a new home right now and they are putting in geothermal heat pump. Super efficient and no outside unit to worry about or run into with the lawnmower. I plan to be there when they put it in. Will take some pictures for the BB.

Originally Posted By: gbell

I thought I might be wrong given that all of my experience is in Florida and heat is not a very big concern here. Thank you for sharing the information. I always love to learn something new.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service