Electrical Inspection Exam

Hopefully the OP returns with some local information about the states mentioned. But I am not holding my breath.

4 Likes

I think that it is important for others who are studying for an exam and using practice questions to realize that the information provided in the original question is correct. There’s always the possibility of a local.amendment to code questions but that needs to be noted as the exception not the rule.

4 Likes

Not so funny how experts can have it wrong. I’ve been given incorrect information by experts so many times that I’ve adopted a trust but verify immediately anything told to me by an expert that is something that I haven’t heard or contrary to what I’ve believed. At the top of the list of experts getting it wrong are electricians. Among the many things that master electricians have told me over the years, “you can double lug neutrals by twisting them together,” “bootleg grounded outlets are grounded,” “you cannot have redundant GFCI outlets on the same circuit,”, and just like our mistaken OP, I was told by a master electrician that no splices are allowed in panels. I am a little curious about the OP here because she should have access to the NEC with so many electricians in her family to look this one up herself.

4 Likes

As an electrician I must admit I’ve been subject to many dozens of electrical myths over the years. From apprentice school to job site know-it-all’s the hits just keep on coming. Being a skeptic I’ve always asked for a code reference so that I can “look it up on my own”. That usually stops them dead in their tracks. Anyone who is citing code should be able to back it up with a code reference or at least preface it by saying that they’re expressing their opinion not a fact.

1 Like

1 Like

Please don’t get a certain poster yapping about this again… :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Correct, a plug should be inverse :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Too busy eating crow!!

1 Like

And that the answer on an International Association Exam will NEVER be the ‘Local’ option, but will be the raw, unadulterated answer!

1 Like

Corrected…!

2 Likes

Smart. Apparently not only a hit and run OP, but can’t take a correction.

In this biz, I carry seasoning in my pocket to help gag the crow down, and I still hate it. She may be the kind that didn’t get the answer she expected and is too proud to come back. On one hand, too bad. She sounded like she had the kind of background that could make a good home inspector. But on the other hand, this is a biz that is cruel to know-it-alls who don’t know it all.

4 Likes

Funny thing about this pic. We inspected an auto shop today. Every outlet in the shop and office was wired correctly except one that was installed “inverse” and it had the hot/neutral reversed.

2 Likes

Didn’t think about the “gold/silver” correlation and just installed it as “normal”… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I remember a thread a while back discussing the inverse installation. Someone posted that it was common/required in certain commercial settings. I’ve noticed in all the hotels I’ve stayed in since I read that thread, the bathrooms have the inverted receptacles. I don’t bother to test them tho… :shushing_face:

3 Likes

How else do you expect to get the current to flow the other direction (Alternating Current)??

2 Likes

I think you will find them inverted in almost all hospitals.

2 Likes

Hopefully, I won’t be looking for them there anytime soon… :flushed:

2 Likes

It is saying that you are wrong because you are wrong.

1 Like

Don’t bother. Rebecca was a hit and run poster. She vented, didn’t like the answers and disappeared.

3 Likes

I think there may be 2 sources of confusion: the change in the language in the NEC 2020, AND the fact that many state and local codes are more strict in specific areas than the NEC. I am in Chicago, and I have to translate every single electrical lesson from InterNACHI through the lens of the Chicago building code, which might as well be another planet in many instances.