Exposed Wiring

Four Point Question: The service panel is in the garage and the wires are boxed in above the panel up to the ceiling. But there is no ceiling, just open trusses - no sheetrock. The wires run across the tops of the trusses and head to their destinations in the house.

Would this qualify as exposed wiring on a Four Point inspection?

No! What else could they have done…?
All wiring subject to damage should be in conduit.

So the wiring laying on the trusses would not count as “exposed wiring” because there is a truss every 16 - 24 inches to protect them? I suppose an 8’ ceiling would put the wiring out of general exposure to people.

Do you have a picture of this?

Either put a ceiling in or run the wiring in conduit…which is required in numerous areas.

Call the AHJ and see what he says about it.

I haven’t found one yet who allows wiring “not protected”.

NO. Wiring is allowed to rest on bottom chords of the trusses without protection in the attic space (unless subject to damage). The question is, why would the garage ceiling not have drywall or plaster on a trussed roof system? But, again not relevant on a 4pt.

detached. But we don’t know from the OP’s post

Bit off topic but:
Are staples and runners required within 6 ft of hatch?
Thanks

Wires within that range of the hatch are to be secured and protected.

Roger that! Thanks

If there is nothing to protect the wiring from damage, then it isn’t compliant.

IMG.jpg

IMG_0540 (Mobile).JPG

What exactly are you trying to show here. That looks like a ceiling that has been removed. I am quite sure it won’t stay that way…

Four Point Question: The service panel is in the garage and the wires are boxed in above the panel up to the ceiling. But there is no ceiling, just open trusses - no sheetrock. The wires run across the tops of the trusses and head to their destinations in the house.

From Exposed Wiring - InterNACHI Inspection Forum http://www.nachi.org/forum/f73/exposed-wiring-101888/#post1342721#ixzz3c0BrQrp7

It doesn’t matter how it got that way, just that it is.

As to the ceiling in the photos, the entire structure is going to be rebuilt…

Here are some examples of Unsecured/Loose and Exposed/Unsafe wiring:

During a wind mit and 4 pt…Decided to go thru the eaves for the Roof to wall attachment pics.

During a wind mit and 4 pt…Decided to go thru the eaves for the Roof to wall attachment pics.

I find that quite often on 4 points. For that reason I always check the attics on a 4 point. Besides checking the condition of the underside of the roof deck you may run into these hazards.

Bert

Decided?

There may be plumbing, electric and duct work…not to mention the roof.
Everyone should be going through the entire attic…you never know what you may find! :slight_smile:

Eric! The entire attic on a 4PT?

I am assuming that you inspect the entire attic during a home inspection, so, you are looking for the same defects on a 4 point so it should be the same procedure. Should being the operstive word! :wink: