Faith Greenwell, KY, has some inspection equipment for sale.

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have several forums that I go to for motorcycles, horses, etc. and almost all have a for sale section. The disclaimer at the top says that the sale is completed between the buyer and the seller and the website host is not responsible for the sale, they are just giving an avenue for sale. Realistically, it is not much different that trying to hold a newspaper responsible for an ad that is printed in the paper and you buy something from. They are just printing the ad, not responsible for the products.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Dave:

Motorcycles? Horses? Doesn't seem like you. Do you ride?

Nick

Nick, yes to both, whenver possible on both. Four horses and a 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 classic.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

All,

If NACHI is going to have a forum for buying and selling and it isn't going to be in the members only area, then I think that NACHI should at least charge a listing or sellers fee, similar to ebay. ebay doesn't buy or sell items, as Nick has eluded to, but they make money by people listing items.

I like the idea of being able to buy or sell HI equipment here. I don't like the idea of Professional Equipment, Tims Tools, and every other small and large equipment distributor selling here, unless it benefits both the members and NACHI. Our website isn't made for free advertising for these companies, is it?

If properly done and successful, it could benefit the NACHI coffers, which benefits us all. ![icon_mrgreen.gif](upload://tbe1CncrrOs48cXpHvziOT8r0T3.gif)

Blaine

If we charge anybody anything… NACHI members suffer. Right now our free, open to all, unmoderated message board is the only place to hear the real truth.

If we only allow companies that kick us back something or those that can afford to advertise here, we'll all miss out on a lot.

Some vendors look at http://www.nachi.org/stats.htm , see 3 million hits/month and call begging for a banner ad. One mold company offered us over 10K for a banner on our home page. I'd love to take it but I'm afraid it would put us on a slippery slope.

Nick

Nick,

I'm not recommending that we charge huge fees, allow people or companies to pay for banners or advertising. The fees to sell on ebay are not exorbitant. I recently sold something on ebay for $500, and the fee was something like $4.21.

If we had a for sale section for everyone, a simple fee of even $1 per thousand of the sale price would allow everyone access. The small fee would not start a slippery slope for us because it is charged as a hosting fee for the product sold. It isn't an advertising fee where a company can post a banner, it is just more like classified advertising, only auction style.

I wouldn't think NACHI members would suffer. Our board, except for a retail place, would still be free, open to all, and unmoderated. Just list the section as the other boards are. "For Sale" use this section to sell and buy new and used home inspection related equipment, report software, etc.

I know I always look at dollars, but I see this as a win win for NACHI and its members. More income gives the organization more cash to promote NACHI and it's members. Heck, some of the proceeds could even go to the NACHI Foundation.

Blaine ![nachi_nachi.gif](upload://uHOMNyaTr9Egc1VkzoQvcptyboG.gif)

Blaine, how about we put a “suggestion” of $1.00 for every item sold be sent to the NACHI foundation or something like that. I don’ t see any reason to charge for the service, like I said in an earlier post, at least 2 other boards I use have FREE for sale information and some of those are some HIGH dollar items.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Good idea Dave:

Maybe just a line like "NACHI does not accept paid advertising however our NACHI Foundation appreciates donations of any size. If you feel obligated to pay for the publicity you receive from using our message board, click here."

What do you think?

Nick

I like it. By the way, what do you mean I don’t seem like the motorcycle & horse type. Hell, I even got dressed up the day I met you. Usually it is jeans & t-shirt.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: csoutherland

Nick,

I knew you were seceretly independently wealthy, making deals like that house. Maybe you should start a separate thread for members only with advice on other ways to become rich and powerful.

Carl

I agree with Carl. My mortgage company would like me to earn some bucks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Blaine

I’m not the guy to look for when seeking advice on getting rich. I lost everything (materially speaking) twice in my life (My sons, now age 10 & 14, had to move into a 1 bedroom apartment both times, but they say it was the best times they had). I started out with nothing so I guess I’ve been flat broke 3 times. I’m way back up now. But the few times in my life I’ve been rich, it didn’t last long. I don’t count on it lasting this time either. A fool and his money are lucky to be together at all.

As for the topic of this thread, which I think is now about the advantages of buying used, I'm very much in favor of buying nearly everything used if available. Buying is a really big part of business. Here I'll give you an example:

Let's say you're running a business that has after expenses profits of 20% (the home inspection business should be about 60%). But lets say you are running something other than a home inspection business and your gross revenue (total sales) less expenses is 20% of your gross revenue. This means you have to sell $100 worth of product or service and pay $80 in expenses to make $20. Now if you (through better buying) can cut your expenses 25% to $60, you save an additional $20 in expenses. Your profits are now $40 on the same gross sales. In other words you would have to DOUBLE your gross sales to achieve the same effect as buying everything a little smarter. Put another way: Cutting your expenses by 25% doesn't increase your profits by 25%, it increases your profits by 100%! It doubles them.

So many business people make the mistake of focusing on the money that's coming in instead of on the money that's going out.

As for my example in my previous post, it was buying the building low, not selling it high, that made the big difference. Anyone can sell real estate at full market price. Buying it low takes the sleuth skills I learned as an inspector.

Nick

Nick,

You are right on target about expenses. Used is the way to go, especially on big ticket items like vehicles. I used to run a retail business where the average net was about 3.1%, and that was considered excellent. So, when I made 6.6%, they thought I was doing something wrong or cheating. Some companies just cant stand to make money.

When I had an inspection franchise, my net revenue (to me) was around 62%. No without the franchise, it is around 83%. If I could only get the gross revenue up I would have it made.

If all gross revenue is equal, it is the expenses that make the difference. Anywhere costs can be cut without sacrificing productivity, customer service or revenue generation is the road to dake. Too bad our federal Government can't figure that one out.

They say that the third time is a charm, so hopefully you and your wealth will stay acquainted and actually get a nice relationship going this time! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Blaine