Faith Greenwell, KY, has some inspection equipment for sale.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi fellow Inspectors,

I am writing to request permission to post the sale of this equipment on the NACHI web site. Thank you for your kind consideration and response.

Recently, I sold my home inspection company. I now have the following equipment for sale. We used this equipment for our home inspection reports.

Five Traveling Cases. Each include:

HP Jornada 720 Handheld PC
Canon BJC 85 Printer
Deluxe Traveling Case
Power cords, etc.

Will sell each traveling case with equipment included for $800.00. Each Handheld PC includes an extended 1 year warranty that is transferrable.

I also have the Palm-Tech Software that I can transfer one time. The software and price is negotiable and would require further discussion.

If you would like further information, please contact me at (502)777-4268 (cell and voice mail).

Thank you,
Faith Greenwell
formerly Greenwell Home Inspections
Louisville, KY

Originally Posted By: eharden

Nick,

I for one do not have a problem with this, or other “For Sale” postings.

I know that this forum is not intended to be for classified ads, but maybe we should think about adding a section to NACHI.org specifically for classified ads. OR, just post under a “For Sale” topic on the forum. Comments?

Eric Harden

First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: kluce

Do you think we should keep this in the members only? This could get out of hand if anyone can sell as much as they want. I was just thinking of ebay and the companies that sell so much and take up so much space.

I don’t know if I like this idea of selling on NACHI. If something is sold and isn’t what the buyer thought it would be or if the money isn’t sent. It can cause problems, and I’m not sure we need these problems here.

"United We Stand, Divided we fall"

Originally Posted By: psabados

I agree with Joe. If we’re to have a for sale sight lets keep it in the membership area, otherwise we’ll end up having all sorts of people trying to sell their wares on the boards.

I feel that I can trust my fellow members. Not Crazy Harry's slightly used Tool Emporium

Paul

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Quote:
With the reported successes of NACHI members as posted on other threads, the sale of equipment should not be overwhelming.

From your lips to God's ear.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: eharden

Kevin,
I think that the sales would be conducted in the same manner that we would deal with our clients. My way of thinking is that the customer is always right. It does not matter to me if they are a client, or someone who is purchasing something from me. If we all follow proper etiquette, (that's not too bad for someone with a publik skool edamacation) we should be just fine.

--
Eric Harden
First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

NACHI is not selling anything with this thread. NACHI is not the seller.

All free market transactions are win-win. If a woman buys a loaf of bread from a baker for a dollar, the baker wins because the dollar was worth more to him than the bread. The woman wins because the loaf of bread is worth more to her than the dollar. Both come out ahead.

The more transactions that occur the more we all win. Putting anything in the members-only section removes the "free-market" from the equation. Less sellers, less potential buyers, less ability for people to hear the comments about each product (be they positive or negative).

I for one have NOT purchased certain products because of the evaluations I read on this board. I also bought something specifically because of the recommendations on this board. Limiting reviews to NACHI members, limits information. Limiting information harms all.

A "For-sale" section of the open-to-all portion of the message board makes some sense though.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

and bear no warranty whatsoever. What happens when the buyer receives his/her merchandise one week and it becomes inoperable the following week? I personally think this could lead to problems with buyers and sellers alike.

Nick,

I don't think NACHI would want take on more responsibilities for damaged or inoperable products. Do you? Unless of course some brainiac can come up with a buyers disclosure. But that would also become more troublesome.
This sounds like a great idea, but I think major problems are going to arise because the product received may/will not be what was expected.
We don't need to see unsatisfied inspectors in this forum. Leave the selling to EBAY.
My $.02 pesos.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

You need not worry about NACHI being exposed to liability for something bought from someone else after reading something posted here.

Anything one buys, new or used, can always be damaged or inoperable.

NACHI is not a seller of any product that anyone sells here or any service that anyone promotes here, anymore than your local newspaper is responsible for warranting all the used cars in its classified ads.

Nick

I’M not for selling items on NACHI Message Board but if you did, I would probably buy something at sometime. eusa_whistle.gif

“used car warranty”.

This must be known or advertised to all buyers.

David Valley

MAB Member

Perhaps it should be known, if the sale is “as-is” and there is “no 30 day warranty.”

However again... since NACHI is not the seller, NACHI will not author or announce any terms of a someone else's sale.

Nick

gromicko wrote:
since NACHI is not the seller, NACHI will not author or announce any terms of a someone else's sale.

Need that in big letters.

since NACHI is not the seller, NACHI will not author or announce any terms of a someone else's sale.

Ok, Need that in bold letters.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Nick

What would NACHI's liability be if some sharpie got on the boards and offered a Tramex or Monoxor at a ridiculously low price, sold 10 units and never delivered the product.

What would be granted to anyone would be the ability to sell here and all they have to do is register to the boards. Once the general public finds out that they can sell their wares on this site for free with no controlling authority look-out. Major trouble brewing, from bombarding the boards with who knows what to outright fraud and deception.

The baker may have sold the bread, the woman thought she was getting bread, but actually received a moldy roll. Worse yet, it was never delivered. Who wins in that scenario.

This is one area that begs, no make that screams, for some sort of control.

Just my discounted two cents worth

Paul

Paul,

My point exactly. Lets give EBAY all that business.
We don't need issues on product reliability and delivery mishaps. If I were to see a product up for sale with no guarantee of delivery or workmanship...I wouldn't bother looking into it. So good luck to all you inspectors trying to market your used merchandise here at NACHI.

By the way... I'm selling a Tiff800a moisture meter for $25.00. If interested, send me a certified check and I'll send you the meter after I superglue the broken case back together. It should still work fine. SUCKER

--
David Valley
MAB Member

I’ve bought a lot of used equipment in my life. Namely 1 year old cars and some heavy equipment. I think used equipment is the way to go. Last year I bought a 100 year old vacant 15 room building at 330 Dayton Street in Phoenixville for $55,000. I just sold it last month for $175,000, even though it is now 101 years old.

Point is... Americans are used to buying new to the point that they run from anything used. Buying is such a big part of business. I love to shop for deals on used stuff.

Chris, set up a FOR SALE section on the web.

Nick

PS. Question: Do we add offers like those at http://www.nachi.org/deals.htm to the FOR SALE section? Seems like they should go there.

Yup, and don’t forget to add the disclaimer for all buyers. NACHI wouldn’t want to be the responsible party for any transactions that take place here. Trust me…there will be complaints.

David Valley

MAB Member