Federal Grant

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As many of you may recall, The NACHI Foundation last year applied for a Department of Homeland Security Grant as part of the Fire Prevention and Safety Grants. NACHI membership was asked for approval for NACHI to supply the matching (30%) portion required, to which there was no objection.

We have NOT yet received approval for the grant. However, recent communication suggests the approval may be coming. With that in mind, and with my possible time constraints coming (hope to get a job offer soon), I want to be proactive and be prepared in the event we are soon approved.

What I need is volunteers to sit on a program committee for the Foundation. The group selected will be charged with drafting official guidelines for the program, creating necessary application documents (to be web based), approving ads and ad content, and other program administrative functions.

I have not yet decided on the number of individuals to limit this to. If you would be interested, and are able to invest a few hours a week, please email a letter of interest along with any qualifications (experience not required) to dan@nachifoundation.org. If I do not get back to you right away it does not mean you are not needed. Allow me a few days/weeks to get prepared.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Additional Info(Program Details)

The Program will allow the NACHI Foundation to distribute 1,000 smoke alarms designed for deaf and hard of hearing individuals to low income households. These alarms retail for $200. They will be provided at absolutely no cost to applicants who meet specific guidelines.

Additionally, the program will consist of a major education campaign targeted at the deaf and hard of hearing communities. 100,000 brochures will be printed and distributed, full page ads will be placed into several magazines targeted to these groups such as VOLTA Voices, and the AG Bell magazine. Radio ads will also be created. We will also be sending out press releases to every possible media outlet.

The intent of the ads is threefold. First, we need applicants to donate the 1,000 alarms to. Second, we intend to educate those that can afford the alarms. Third, we need to encourage donations to the program to keep the program alive after Federal funding runs out.

There are in upwards of 28 million American who are deaf or hard of hearing. Many of these individuals live in poverty because of socio-economic barriers related to there hearing impairment. Many of those not impoverished, are simply not aware of these alarms. Programs promoting technology usually neglect these lifesaving devices. Fire Prevention campaigns target the hearing. We are planning on helping to bridge the gap left.

Recently a hearing impaired Texas mother and her young child died in a fire. They slept to long into the incident to escape. This device could have saved them. Even one person escaping a fire because of one of these would make the funds spent meaningless. Please help us.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

polite bump icon_biggrin.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store