Federal Noark Brand Fuse Panel

Does this brand have any correlation to Federal Pacific? I’ve also seen Federal Electric Company transformers before. Are these different companies? Old 60 AMP fuse panel.

Does it really matter? It is outdated, deteriorated, and in need of replacement.
(Also, do I really need to mention the conductors??).

5 Likes

I’m not sure if the two names are related, but it is worth mentioning that, as far as I am aware, Federal Pacific fuse panels do not have the same concerns as their breaker panels.

3 Likes

Be sure to get a new panel with enough room for all those double taps! Also, most of the insurance companies in my area are a no go with Edison screw in fuses.

3 Likes

Correct… The panels are not the problem… the breakers are.

3 Likes

Oh man so much wrong. The home had original 2 prong outlets throughout the entire top of the home. A 120 volt plug in stove. No other appliances.

especially with all the 30 amp fuses…

I would expect that with a fuse panel. IMO, the presence of 2-prong receptacles (themselves) are not a material defect. Look around your home. How many items other than your computer and a couple of appliances even have 3-prong plugs anymore? Not very many, so what good does the extra prong do for you??
And… to push it even more… fuses are much more reliable than a breaker!!
Just sayin’.

3 Likes

Only if the homeowner uses the right sized fuses. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s not the fuses fault!

1 Like

Yes they are but they are still outdated. And I do consider it a defect when 99% of receptacles are 2 prong.

Not to mention the green 30 amp fuses that are over fused, from what I can see from N. MI :flushed:

1 Like

Do you recommend a potential fix for the defect?

2 Likes

Of course, we’re all free to report and view things as we like but in general something that’s old is not a defect… it’s just old, outdated, obsolete, etc. You could even say less safe. Calling it a defect is going to piss people off and is not accurate in the opinion of most inspectors.

4 Likes

Yes in this scenario because people will use 3 prong adapters which is no different than calling out a 3 prong ungrounded one.

Yes it’s the same company (it has a tangled history).

Oddly though this panel won’t have the identified defects inherent in Federal Pacific Stab Lok panels (bad connections, and breakers that don’t trip).

In fact fuses are FAR more reliable than breakers. Heads and shoulders more reliable.
The problem is people put the wrong size in. So the immediate low cost retrofit is Type-S rejection base fuses, of the proper size. Or mini-breakers. Then the next step is identify if any circuits are overloaded by modern needs (dishwasher, washer, electric dryer or whatever).

Two prong outlets, by themselves, are not a defect in my book.

If you’ve got fused neutrals though, that’s a defect, and can be solved by putting a higher amp fuse in the neutral side and leaving a very clear note as to why.

1 Like

Does that label match the panel? It shows cylindrical fuses, not the screw in type.

If I wrote up everything dumb a buyer could do after I leave I’d never get a report finished :slight_smile:

5 Likes

At best, it a safety consideration. What about homes with no GFCI or AFCI protection before it was required?

Conversely, a three prong receptacle with no ground and not labeled or identified as no ground is a defect.

2 Likes

The cartridge fuses are inside of those two black pull out covers with the handles. The Edison based fuses are below them on the nameplate.

4 Likes