Federal Pacific Electritc Stab-Lok revisited

News worthy stories in Ca must be getting hard to find;-)

I have only seen 1 of those panels in 22 years in this area.

Thanks Barry. :slight_smile:

There is so much negative feedback out there about Federal Pacific Panels I always recommend that the panels at the least be evaluated by a Qualified Electrician.

As always Barry, thank you for sharing, been working with FPE and Zinsco’s for 30 years and have only 1 Zinsco breaker melting with out tripping and and a dozen FPE’s that have had the breakers melt and 1 that caused a fire, I have found the biggest issues with both of the panel manufactures to be water intrusion created by faulty or deteriorated service entrance cables funneling water into the panels and rusting the breakers in the on position. When working on these panels I always warn the client of the possibility that the breaker may fail to operate properly once I turn it off, this has saved me from having to foot the bill for defective breakers more than once, I will as an inspector spend a litlle more time talking with the client explaining the situation with these brands and ultimately there are other issues present to recommend that licensed electrician evaluate they system as a whole and expect the need to replace the service equipment.

Based on my many years of construction industry experience and as a Professional Real Estate Inspector, electrical equipment malfunction often creates immeasurable property damage, personal injury or loss of life that can never be recovered or replaced.

If you have a Federal Pacific Electric panel board or any older electrical equipment for that matter installed at your property it should have a complete and thorough evaluation by a competent qualified licensed electrician. I trend for replacement of older equipment regardless of brand name based on the equipment age and the modern safety upgrades that have occurred within the electrical industry and are now required by the International Codes.

Panel boards and their associated components as with all residential and commercial systems components have a service life expectancy. Most folks wait until something breaks before considering replacement or an upgrade. I believe this to be a naive and mistaken approach when it comes to any electrical system. The dollars spent today may ensure the safety of you and yours property and lives.

Wishing all readers the very best in your life and property ownership experience.

Based on my many years of construction industry experience and as a licensed Texas Professional Real Estate Inspector, electrical equipment malfunction often creates immeasurable property damage, personal injury or loss of life that can never be recovered or replaced.

If you have a Federal Pacific Electric panel board or any older electrical equipment for that matter installed at your property it should have a complete and thorough evaluation by a competent qualified licensed electrician. I trend for replacement of older equipment regardless of brand name based on the equipment age and the modern safety upgrades that have occurred within the electrical industry and are now required by the International Codes.

Panel boards and their associated components as with all residential and commercial systems components have a service life expectancy. Most folks wait until something breaks before considering replacement or an upgrade. I believe this to be a naive and mistaken approach when it comes to any electrical system. The dollars spent today may ensure the safety of you and yours property and lives.

Wishing all readers the very best in your life and property ownership experience.

Thanks, Barry…good info.