Federal Pacific Service Panels

Does anyone have a good way to address a home inspection of a Federal Pacific Panel. I have come across a couple and know there are issues with them. Is this a serious issue or minor? Thanks for any input.

Here you go…
"There is a Federal Pacific Electric service panel in the home. There are studies that show that some FPE circuit breakers are prone to problems that can lead to failures, lack of proper protection of circuits and other serious issues, including fire and electrocution. Although the Consumer Products Safety Commission has not issued a formal product recall, the panel is old and the company is now out of business. We cannot definitively call this panel defective, but recommend, for your peace of mind, to consult a qualified electrical contractor to get their opinion on this matter. "

3 Likes

Good one!

“The FPE Stab-Lok LOCATION(electric/panels) is considered a safety hazard. Hazards associated with this manufacturer have been documented by industry experts. A high percentage of FPE Stab-Lok breakers have failed to open under over-current conditions. Replacement is advised for safety reasons. At a minimum, the panel should be thoroughly inspected and deemed acceptable by a competent licensed electrician familiar with this type of panel. (See our website and other documents for details of hazards.)”

Oh boy, here we go again.

1 Like

Would you put your ass on the line for that narrative.
With that narrative you have open up the proverbial Pandora’s Box…
You stated…
"documented by industry expert "*
My 1st question to you …And the client may ask the same question.
Who are the industry expert?
Secondly !
A high percentage of FPE Stab-Lok breakers have failed to open under over-current conditions
Question number 2.
How do you know that your statement is %100 true, and where did you hear that from.

I agree they should be replaced.
Just talkin’
Nothing more.

1 Like

You have a Federal Pacific panel which is legal, but there is a possibility that the circuit breakers may not trip when shorted possibly causing an electrical hazard. Opinions by licensed electricians on this panel varies between safe and unsafe. I recommend you consult a licensed electrician for an opinion and correction if necessary.

Roy,

I like your narrative, I only wonder what the electrician will say when he goes to inspect the panel. Certainly the known issues of CB’s not tripping cannot typically be confirmed by a simple visual inspection even by an EC.

I would think an electrician would almost certainly recommend replacement. On the cynical side, it’s an opportunity to earn some money. On the somewhat less cynical side, recommending replacement shields him from liability. On the let’s-assume-he’s-on-the-up-and-up side, it could be out of genuine concern for the safety of the inhabitants.

The few I have seen didn’t show any arcing, melting insulation, signs of overheating or other outward symptoms of danger or failure, but they were called out based on FPE’s bad rep. No reason to think an electrician would stick his neck out on something like that.

1 Like

Well put.

Most of the homes built around here through the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s had FPE because they were a local company and the cheapest around. I have replaced many in my career and if someone asks me for my opinion I would say that the panel is old and obsolete and should be changed.

Please if my wife contacts you Please ignore her.

All electrical panels are “safe” until they are not. We, as home inspectors, are to report on what we see at the time of the inspection. Sure if you want to CYA then have a canned comment about all panels and the possibility of failure.

What you say doesn’t make alot of sense. FP panels are obsolete. They are also considered a safety problem by many and have been demonstrated to have breakers that failed to trip and were not properly certified (UL listing) at the time of manufacture, This is one of those topics that has been beat to death but bears repeating for the new inspectors. The presence of FP panels may make the home uninsurable. Something a buyer wants to know. Also a topic that is well suited for a link in your report -

1 Like

All panels, and breakers can have problems, BOB. Show me proof of Federal Pacific Panels have problems. When I say proof, I mean actual documentation, not just a forum or an article from inspectapedia.

1 Like

I don’t have to show you shit! You obviously don’t know same. If you can’t insure the house the bank won’t lend you the money.

Didn’t think so, BOB. Seems like your obsolete. And since when does an inspector get involved with home insurance or the mortgage?

As a potential homeowner i would appreciate knowing i might be looking at hard to get insurance or very expensive insurance. Might change my mind about the home.

I would consider breakers falling out of the panel when the cover is removed an issue, even without expert documentation

1 Like

I’ve inspected many FPE panels and have never had a breaker fall out. We cannot assume. I understand that this is a controversial issue and I always mention a possible concern when I see them, but how many panel manufacturers have panel or breaker issues or recalls. Like I said before, we can only observe and report. Just because someone says something, does not make it true. Proof is needed.

1 Like

Google works
Based on information collected from fire reports, Aronstein and coauthor, Richard Lowry, estimate that FPE Stab-Lok panel failures result in as many as 2,800 fires, 13 deaths, and $40 million in property damage annually.