Federal Pacific

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had read poor reviews of the FPE panels on this message board prior to conducting my first inspection of an FPE panel yesterday. I was happy to have the heads up on these panels as there was evidence of arcing on the buss where the first breaker “stabs” in although the breaker position was vacant, probably for good reason. God only knows (Will, where are you) what lies underneath all of the other breakers in that panel.

This subject should be continually renewed for all guys like me that are new to the business. As far as I'm concerned FPE panels are a fire waiting to happen. I wish I had high voltage gloves on this one. I'm going right out to find a pair.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

icon_twisted.gif I have…somewhere…a few melted wirenuts, a dozen or so melted FPE breakers…some melted wires…all due to the notorious Federali Pacifico Electrica panel. If I can find these neat items that I keep around for conversation pieces I will take a few pics and post them here for those that might doubt the safety record behind these panels. I, myself, held one of these wirenuts in my fingers as it sparked…arced…and promptly started on fire The cause…a FPE breaker that was out to lunch during the short!

FPE breakers with the orange label and black amp rating are the culprits. The ones that are solid black with bright white numbers for the amp rating are considered safe.

One homeowner said to the other..."How do you like your toast dear"...she promptly replied....with the FPE panel we have in our basement our toast always comes out burnt to a crisp!! Can't even butter it without all the black crumbs getting on the floor!! We need a panel upgrade honey just so we can have normal toast!!

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

“Let your contractor build it, and let Federal Pacific burn it down”

I wish the CPSC has the conviction to just condemn these things. Their inaction has put us in a bad position. If they are unsafe, they ar unsafe. They should have either given them the official thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

I could have been pretty simple, especially as this company is out of business, anyway.

Originally Posted By: jremas

I just hand them this http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml83/83008.html just like Joe Myers and in my report I refer to the handout for them to make their own decision. I am only making them aware of the situation. Most clients state that they are just going to have it replaced and not take any chances.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Nice link Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jremas

Dennis, where did you find the information on the colors of the breaker stickers? If I see orange with black amp ratings then the red flag goes up? I have had a pile of these FPE’s lately and still hand the client the CPSC papers even though it takes no official position, …information only. I was hoping there was some literature from an agency that took an official position on this panel.

Joe F has some valid points about getting flack from AHJs and electrical contractors although these guys should be happy they are getting the work as a result of our inspection. Unfortunately there is no consistency with AHJs or electricians and their opinion on what we write up.

I am hoping we can work together to come up with a solid opinion or fact on these panels. There must be some data out there to support our decision to have it further evaluated by a licensed qualified electrician. Especially when the AHJ or electrician says there is not a problem and makes us look bad even though we are looking out in the best interest of the client.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Not sure now where I got that info but it is valid. The FPE breakers with the orange background and black amp rating are the suspect breakers. The FPE breakers that are black background with white amperage markings are ok. The ones with the black and white were manufactured after the other type and supposedly are a more realiable breaker. I will research where I read this and follow up with you later. I also know that Challenger makes a replacement breaker for FPE that looks like the black and white model.

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Stab-lok

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/stab-lok.jpg

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/stablok2.jpg

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com