Federal Pacific

Originally Posted By: mpatton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can anyone identfy the most recent publication reguarding NEC code or other pertaining to Federal Pacific Panels?

Thanks, ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Michael,

Do you always start at midsentence and expect everyone to understand what you are speaking of? Well, at least those like me that can't read!

Joe Myers

Joe & Others,

I apologize when I sent the message I was in a bit of a rush and made a wide sweeping assumption everyone new exactly what I was asking.

Issue - Over the past sever years dating back approximately to 1982. An ongoing debate as to the safety of the Federal Pacific electric panels (no longer manufactured) has been going on. In many instances these are regarded as unsafe due to the fact that they were lab tested and showed that the stab breakers do not function a high percentage of the time. Other reports have been non conclusive as safe or unsafe. Depending on the information that I have read and will continue to research I have found no recent information that states ?safe? or ?not safe?. In short many resources deem these panels to be fire hazards!

Question - Is anyone familiar with a recent publication by a governing body in reference to the use of ?Federal Pacific? electrical panels. I am attempting to have current information available to support my canned statement that due to the panel being a FPE you should consult with a licensed electrician etc.

Thanks for the response.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Michael,

Here is the latest from the cosumer product safety commision.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml83/83008.html

Hope this helps.

Joe Myers

Thanks for the responses.

I had seen these sites before and they have value without a doubt. I was hoping someone had seen a formal statement with more recent dates; the information appears to be consistent regardless where you look the FPE is a potential hazard and should be treated as such.

Thanks again for your assistance.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

In my area, I get my a$$ kicked from electrical contractors who are called in to perform a “further evaluation”. Same goes for the NY Board of Fire Underwriters, who are the electrical AHJ in this region. FP and Stab-lock are acceptable in Rockland.

I handle this by alerting the client that electrical problems associated with these breakers have been investigated by the CPSC. In some instances, and after familiarizing themselves with the available data, some consumers have chosen to replace this equipment. I then provide the link to the afforementioned web page.

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Here in Rockport we have a bookstore that caught fire and was about 75% destroyed. The fire marshal said it was caused by an outlet that shorted out.

Why didn’t the breaker trip?

After going through the rubble it was found that the culprit was a FP panel.

An electrician friend of mine says it this way " There are two ways to weld, one is with a Lincon Welder, the other is with a FP panel"

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: nlewis

I saw a Federal Pacific panel in the strangest location ever. Under the kitchen sink. Original from the 1950’s.

Neal,

Hmmm....under the sink! I wonder who came up with that idea?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: nlewis

This was a 100 unit apartment buiding converted to condos. I was told that every one was the same, under the sink. The doorman said that the architect who designed the place was disappointed with the construction of the building, and committed suicide shortly after completion. I think he took his job alittle too seriously!

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I have a real problem with the push-matic thing. I see them all over the place up here. I inspected a house recently, which had a pushmatic panel. Although parts are still available, they are a bit expensive. That notwithstanding, there is nothing wrong with the panel.

Well, the client I inspected the home for backed out of the deal. The home was purchased by a relocation company, who sent in their own inspector. This inspector flagged the push-matic panel as defective (due to its production status), and recommended replacement. The relo company went back to the owner, and wanted him to take the cost of replacement off the top. This homeowner went ballistic, called the NY Board of Fire Underwriters (they are the AHJ) and asked for an opinion. The electrical inspector came out to the house. He told the homeowner that the home inspector was wrong, and recommended that the homeowner sue this inspector for the cost of the new panel and related inspection and installation fees. Absent of a safety issue, which does not exist with this panel, I also believe that the inspector was wrong. I make the client aware that ir will cost him more for these breakers ($45 for a 15-amp) as compared to around $5 from another manufacturer. I advise them that they may want to consider upgrading the panel sometime in the future, but that's about it.

I am seeing, and hearing, of many AHJ-types getting really pissed off at some home inspectors for, not so much going beyond the call of duty, but for calling things out as defects that really are not. I agree with Joe H. Folks in other areas view things differently. Nothing wrong with it. We just gotts cover our a$$es.

Isn't that special?

Joe F.

I agree with them. To say that they are difficult to obtain and expensive is one thing but to recommend replacement based on that alone is just wrong.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I’m not familiar with the word “Stab-Lok”.

I thought that all FPE panels are to be redflagged or is it just the FPE Stab-Lok" style panels?

Could someone please identify the "Stab-Lok" style for me?

Thanks, ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Joe,

I did check out this website and I still am not sure if there is a difference in the "Stab-lok" series or a series of FPE panels that are not defective.

Should all FPE panels have a disclaimer? Whether they are Stab-Lok or not?

Does someone have a pic of the different styles?

Thanks

Have a great Inspection ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Aaron Rosenbaum

The disclaimer on the panel should read:

"Panel will probably start on fire sooner or later, so upgrade NOW! Thanks for using Federal Pacific"

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Actually a label that says…

"Panel can substitute as a toaster and/or arc welder"

might be beneficial for the home owner.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: Aaron Rosenbaum

Dennis Bozek wrote:
Actually a label that says.....

"Panel can substitute as a toaster and/or arc welder"

might be beneficial for the home owner.

Nice ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)