Find myself in an unusual situation

Do you believe homeowners test their GFCI 's monthly, as indicated by the device manufacturer?

That button is the recognized/recommended test, same as the door reversal test.

I don’t advocate that inspectors perform the test, for a dozen reasons. I’m pointing out that the device maker recommends it.

Ummm yeah. All my sensors are on the ceiling. I hate those things.

1 Like

I have seen Ben Gromicko do this test in a couple different videos. this is why us guys assume we need to do the test.

1 Like

One has to vet what is put on this forum for your own safety, responsibility, etc.

2 Likes

I broke a chain while testing auto-reverse feature once. Paid the bill and I no longer test for that safety feature anymore. Luckily it only cost $150 so my inspection was still profitable.

Not worth arguing with the home owner or agent. Paying for the damage is doing the right thing and saves you from having a bad reputation.

2 Likes

I have seen many garage doors that have the bottoms pushed up in the middle. I assume it was from a previous 2 x 4 test. I test the electric eyes and do not test the pressure switch.
Here is my report comment…
“The garage door pressure-activated auto-reverse function was not tested because it may cause damage to the garage door and/or its components.”

1 Like

One thing to note is that the manufactures don’t state that this test will not damage the door. The mechanism is meant to prevent injury or death, not meant to protect the door/opener. Unless the pressure is set ultra-light, some level of damage will occur to the door and/or opener when performing this test.

1 Like

This is why I DO NOT TEST the emergency reverse feature. Sensors and spring load is all I test.

1 Like

So to summarize its probably best if I don’t do the pressure test and just stick with the light sensor test? Cause atleast that way if it breaks it was definitely using normal operating controls and I could easily argue that i was just finding a latent defect.