Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
| HOME FIRE DANGER
The original message was written by a lady whose brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this past week.
Their house burned down.... nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance so the home will be replaced and most of the contents.
That is the good news. However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire.
The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours.
He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom.
He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom.
She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to
her, "No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high
Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In in the
The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. He said that was
the cause of the fire. He said he has seen more home fires started with the
plug-in type room fresheners than anything else.
He said the plastic they are made from is a THIN plastic. He also said that
in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed.
When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the
plug-in were still in there.
Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built
in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim and then finally go
out. She would walk into the bathroom a few hours later, and the light would
be back on again. The investigator said that the unit was getting
too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb.
Once it cooled down it would come on. That is a warning sign. The
investigator said he personally wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance
device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many homes that have been burnt down due to them.
Is this true? I never heard of it before.