First Fundamentals Course Available In Washington State

I am thrilled that WA recognizing classes on Home Inspections. My main concern is that WA State Home Inspectors are being tested by the NHIE (National Home Inspection Exam). While you are teaching don’t let those graduate home inspectors get discourage when they take the NHIE exam only to find out like I found out that this exam requires a genius to pass it! My hat is off to you instructors. I believe that Nick is getting this somewhat Home Inspector classes recognized nationwide.

[quote=“gromicko, post:15, topic:38213”]

Judging from what students have said about it… it is an excellent course./QUOTI

I am NOT questioning the quality of the course, There is always more one can learn from others. I am very pro education.

Again, just what is the COST of the 120 hour course? To me it is a cost/benefit expense.

My son is going to Lake Washington Tec. College. in computer science. I know what the cost is per quarter and what will be my total cost for his education. On a cost/benefit, money well spent.

120 hours equates to one full time quarter, therefore if I compare that to what I am currently paying per quarter at LWTC, do I have the right answer???

If you can’r or won’t post the cost, then I smell a rat. We all should know, if considering this class, what the cost of this class is. When I went to college, (in the last century) I knew what my cost would be at each college I applied to, so didn’t waste my, nor their, time applying to colleges that I could not afford.

So, fess up!!! WHAT’S THE COST???

[quote=“gromicko, post:10, topic:38213”]

These quotes directly from ASHI’s Code of Ethics:
But ASHI can have a financial interest in recommending a school?

But ASHI can collect indirect compensation from a school that wants to be their preferred provider?

But ASHI can accept compensation for recommending a school?

But ASHI can express opinions based on secret gratuity?

ASHI authoring a Code of Ethics is like Bernie Madoff authoring investor protection legislation./QUOT

I just might trust Bernie more, especially if was the first one in!! They, at lesst, got a good return on the money, before the house of cards came down. ASHI was a losing propsition form the get go!!

No offense, but HHIE takes a genius to pass??!! If that were the case, ASHI would have no members!! Molly probably took that test (along with another unmentioned test), and with her credit card. passed with flying colors. (not sure, but think she is still licensed and doing inspections)

If the course is propely taught, (and not just to pass the NHIE test), but a REAL eductional experience, then no one should have a problem passing the test.

The proof will be in, just how many who take this course, will pass or fail the NHIE. That will be the REAL benchmark, as to the quality and success of this endevor.

In the public school system, lack of success of the student is because he/she is a poor student, (according to the national teachers union). Reality check!! There are as many poor teachers, as poor students. If the teacher can’t convey to the student a desire to learn, it’s all a waste of time. This applies to this course.

I will “reserve” judgement until the stats. are in!!

Steven, just click on the damn link before you rant. It says $3500.
http://www.btc.ctc.edu/DegreesCertificates/programs/PRG-ProgramCosts.asp?Program=63

I tried, my antique computer would not respond.

Thanks for the info!!

Your prior post had it at 4,500. Just wanted to confirm the the price, before I commented on the outragious price.

CHEERS

[quote=“kpierce, post:25, topic:38213”]

Steven, just click on the damn link before you rant. It says $3500.
http://www.btc.ctc.edu/DegreesCertificates/programs/PRG-ProgramCosts.asp?Program=63/QUOT

PS: I will rant about that cost later!!!

PSS: are you going to take the course???

Just for the record, the class is three weeks. The fourth week is field training. The student who completes the 120 hours, and the final week, is prepared to take the two state tests. In other words, the fee includes the 120 hours plus the field training. Regarding what Steven said, we will hope that the students in a specialty class like this would be more motivated to learn and work than your average public school student who would rather be playing a video game. Those who have taken the class over the past 15 years have good things to say about it. The student evaluations of coursework and instructors have always been high.

Steven if you are having trouble finding the cost of the WA HI training program, then you will definetly have even more trouble passing the NHIE.

Well, Mr. Genius, know it all.

Passing that, and that “non proctered” on line test (yes, that one you are so critical of)was no problem.

AND I did so with out the benefit of a $3,500 course!

Know you think highly of your self as a “professional”, however Home inspection is NOT rocket science.

I will, however, freely admit that my computer “skills” are right around zero.

Now, grab that ray o vac flash light and go out and make one of those “steller” inspection you brag about.

I guess I am not as smart as you, which is probably good, I prefer a higher bar.

Steven
Let me be one the first in this long thread to actually congratulate you for your involvement in the first and only school who has been recognized by the state to provide this training which will be vital to many inspectors.

I have alot of respect for folks like yourself that make the sacrifice of teaching or being on the HI board, as there is little compensation for your time, effort, and all the moaning and groaning you endure…just like in many of the previous posts on this thread.

I am sure there are people that would complain if BTC put together a course, drove out to their house, and taught them for free… Complaints would likely range from “You woke me up too early” to “This is not a good time, I have to manage all my posts on the I-NACHI board.”

Keep up the good work and don’t let these part time inspectors get you down. :smiley:

THE REAL AGENDA HAS BEEN ACHIEVED IN WASHINGTON STATE

As I see it, now to qualify for a license and obtain one costs:

120 hours of a “approved class” $3,500
Firsrt time license 650 (+ or-)
(fee to be reduced in future years.
Probably as fast as property taxes
have decreased on the lower value of
our homes!!)

Other fees unknown
comes to 4,150

That’s just for starters!! If that is not enough to discourage the next generation of inspectors, let us also add in business costs of:

That new truck $25,000
(after all, you have to look the part
of being sucessful)
Tools, computer, office furniture, misc
business supplies. 3,000.00 (probably
more)
Insurance (unless you are collection
proof) 2,000.00 (+ or-)

Total, just for starters 34,100

On top of that, add in marketing costs, advertising costs, and enough “cash on hand” to support yourself while you build up a viable business, you’re talking real money here!

What the licensing junkies could’t do throu competing in a free market place, they have managed to do by pricing out new competition.

“Protecting the consumer” and “asssuring quality inspections”, was just the cover story, a smoke screen, and only serves to “protect” their own turf and position in the market place.

YOU WIN!!! FREE ENTERPRISE IS DEAD!!!

May I suggest, if any of you new guys have that kind of money hanging around, there are plenty of repo and/or distressed houses out there to buy, and you can do your “own inspection”.

On a cost/benefit basis, might be a better use of available funds!!

And they asy Bernie Madoff fleeced people??? Move over Bernie, you have new competition.

Steven L. Smith

Can you explain and/or justify the $3,500 cost for this 3 week course?

You state the course is “offered” by BTC.

BTC, like all tech colleges is government supported and very affordable to the average student.

Currently, it costs at LWTC, $800 per quarter, therefore a 2 year degree will be a total cost of $4,800. (plus books, etc) One summer class at UW, cost $800, and that’s a full fledged university.

And a 3 week “home inspection” course costs $3,500??!! Taught by who? Certified and tenured professors?

Kindly explain and enlighten me, as to “price”/“cost” basis that this course was priced on. I seems quite high, in that a full time student, taking a full load of classes per quarter, that amount would pay two thirds of his 2 years of tuition, with a few hundered dollars left over to pay for books.

What, if any, is the relationship between the school and those “putting” this course together?

On a per class cost basis, this makes UW seem a real bargin.

Steven,

I have no clue how it could be offered any cheaper. It is, again, a four week course and it goes eight hours a day. Read what I said above about it being four weeks and not three. It meets the field training requirements too. This fulfills all requirements of the state, except the tests, plus it prepares students to pass the WDO test. And, in a more practical sense, it prepares them to work in the real world.

Everyone teaching the course is a working inspector. Any one of us, on the days we teach, would make more if we took a single condo inspection. There are four of us. The Carson Dunlop Principles books are part of the course, they get all of them and at the cost of those books, take more than $1000 off the $3,500. If students already have the books, we have deducted them from their fees.

The cost is set by the school, not me. They have to pay for the class room, computer services, etc. I took the course myself years back, as did every other instructor. I can tell you I thought it was very reasonable after I also found out how intense it is. It is 8 hours a day, five days a week for four weeks. We have never had a student, who actually took the course and realized how intense it is, complain about the cost and the student reviews have always been exceptional.

However, if you believe that the course is too expensive – I suggest that you put one together and compete. Anyone can apply with the state to run a course, you just have to meet all of the state guidelines and they are not tiny. If you have not read them, then do so. They are online at the DOL website.

We have run this course for 15 years. It took me, with an existing course that was proven, a month working with the other instructors to get it ready to be submitted and, even with that, there are some other things we have to adjust to meet the rules.

I suggest that those who feel the class is too expensive plan to get their own program approved. There is no rule that private operators cannot apply to run programs. It all comes down to the material, curriculum, etc…go for it.

I can only back up what Steve said. In my opinion, $3500 is a bargain. You not only get the books, but with real working inspectors teaching the course you get a lot of first hand inspection knowledge. The fourth week full inspections, with reports make the cost of the course tiny. The four instructors do get paid, but as Steve said, doing inspections on the days of teaching would make way more money. We all do it because we care.

No offense…but the State of Washington has required state licensed educators long, long before state licensed home inspectors.

It seems that the argument that O’Handjob and others made for controlling their market with a licensing law is going to apply here, as well…since any Tom, Dick or Harry home inspector can hang a sign in the window and simply call himself “a teacher” and be paid as one.

Don’t take it personal, guys. The proponents of your foolish law started it with their argument for licensing…and now have circumvented their own logic by allowing unlicensed and uncredentialled educators to be a step toward licensing.

Yeah, looks like it’s 3,500 for the class, 680 for the license and 300 for the test…plus gas and lodging.

I doubt the Bellingham one. I live 2 1/2 hours away. Hopefully, a college closer will jump on board. I have until July 2010 though.

pennies over the life of the product!!!

What’s a couple of hours??? And doesn’t this price include motel and food?

I would have a 2 hour flight, plus car rental, and the drive from Sea tac! Would be a tough commute. If I submit to this, will have to wait till summer.

Take care!!