First Inspection on a New House.......

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the business, just a couple of months now. So, I have a question for you learned veterans. I am doing an inspection on a new house this weekend, and this will be my first inspection on a new house. So, do you guys do anything different when doing an inspection on a new house. I know you should follow the standard SOP, but do you pay close attention to anything particular in a new house? Thanks for your help!

Regards, Greg

Hi. Gregg and welcome.

Inspecting a New House or an Old House to me are two of the same. I am hired to Inspect the condition of the Dwelling and whether it is new or old is the same, typical but different, if you know what I mean.
The means, methods, and Products have changed over the years and that is why today in the HI. business, you have to be abreast of all the new materials and product changes and innovations out there. Other than that, they are no different.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Hi Greg,

There’s only a few things that I pay extra attention to on new construction homes.

1. Operate ALL windows and doors.
  2. Test ALL receptacles, switches, and fixtures (incl. GFCI/AFCI tests).
  3. Keep the home as clean as possible as your inspecting.(i.e. wear boot covers inside or remove boots, clean up any spilled attic insulation or debris, wipe up ANY water you may have spilled when checking sinks, showers, etc.)
  4. Pay close attention to any potential code issues, but remember, if you’re going to call out a code violation, you’d better be prepared to back it up with a referrence.

Otherwise, it’s business as usual. Hope this helps, and congrats!