Flexable gas piping

Originally Posted By: ssmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is this stuff right??

This is new construction. City inspector signed off on the gas and plumbing.

I am just curious to know has anyone else seen this??

They run the flex to the area where the appliance is (i.e. furnace) then changes back so that they can put a shut off in line, then regular flex pipe to the appliance.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: Guest

Looks good to me

Originally Posted By: rcallis

This is CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) it is made by several manufacturers. It is approved for gas piping . Special fittings are available for the installations, such as manifolds with varying numbers of connections. This installer chose to make his own out of pipe tees, both black iron and galvanized. The custom manifold would look better but this will work.

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

I thought galvanized was a no no with gas, can flake, Kp

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: rcallis

You don’t see galvanized pipe used much in gas piping because of the belief of flaking. The International Fuel Gas Code states that Black AND Hot-Dipped Zinc-Coated welded and seamless shall comply with ASTM A53 and be at least schedule 40. NFPA 58 also calls for the same standard. I’ve used it in certain conditions with no problems.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Saw that piping material used up here for the first time recently. I sort of like it. Clean and easy to install.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dspencer

That would not pass here, Galv. is not permitted to be mixed with black pipe, same reason you can not run copper straight to a hot water tanks.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

We see it quite a lot. Nothing wrong with it.

Contact your Gas Co. …due to leaks at areas that are mixed metals is why it is not permitted here.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

dspencer wrote:
That would not pass here, Galv. is not permitted to be mixed with black pipe, same reason you can not run copper straight to a hot water tanks.

I don't understand.

Copper and steel are dis-similar metals and need a dielectric fitting between them, either a fitting which mechanically separates them (like a dielectric union) or a fitting compatible with both (like brass).

Black iron pipe and steel are compatible. At least I thought they were. Anyone know for sure that they are not?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: cradan

steel. Some of it is hot-dipped galvanized, and some of it is “black metal” piping. The term “black iron” is somewhat of a misnomer when used in conjunction with modern residential gas systems. What most of us refer to generically as “black metal” or “black iron” piping in residential gas systems is actually cold-rolled steel pipe, albeit low alloy steel pipe.

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

My gas Co here in Ohio will not allow above photo, unless I keep talking to someone who is not trained…I will contact supervisor today to find out.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I dont have a problem with CSST gas piping, and it’s permitted by most model codes (including the IRC, and more recently the UPC). Less fittings, which is where most leaks occur, so leaks are less likely. But like everything else in life, the down side of CSST is it’s more easily damaged. And ya need special training to install the piping correctly.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

It is very common to run galvanized steel pipe from a meter/riser through an outside wall of a building and then connect to black-iron steel pipe run inside. Where there is an outdoor fixture (such as a BBQ), the black-iron is connected to galvanized pipe before running outside.

I understand the direct connection of galvanized steel and black-iron steel pipe inside a building is acceptable, and have not heard of any problems with that or seen any significant corrosion at these connections on older installations.

That galvanized tee fitting does stick out like a sore thumb though ... I guess the plumber ran out of black-iron tee fittings ... ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ... I would think there should also be a drip leg there, even if there is a lower fixture/unit which has a drip leg. Looks like the lower pipe runs upward, in which case there should be a drip leg at the bottom of those fittings.

Darren ... you might be thinking of Cast Iron which is not permitted for gas piping. Otherwise what gas piping material would be used exposed outside?

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: dedwards

We almost never see anymore black iron unless it is old stuff. Almost all the new construction has galv. gas pipe. And as far as the CSST, it is extremely good technology. You have to get a special training and certification to even buy the stuff but the folks that I know who use it love it. Takes about a third of the time for installations, no threading the ends (uses a quick connect type fittings). Comes in rolls so you cut off what you need, apply the fittings and run with it. My Brother in law was in gas business for about 40 years and he says its the best thing since someone invented sitting down. The RV guys were the first locally to really get in on the ease and usefulness of CSST. Makes their lives a lot easier. I tried looking into getting certified a couple of years ago but there was nothing locally and I didn’t want to go to New England for a one day school.

for CSST? I’ve got a local fella (homeowner) asking me if I think it’s a good idea to run 75’ of it from his meter externally, then 25’ of it through (or under) his kitchen to fuel a new cooking stovetop/oven.

I've asked him of there's any existing steel gas piping in the home already (furnace, water heater, fireplace, whatever) from which he could tee-off. I haven't seen any CSST run externally, and most of the indoor installations we've seen more-or-less resemble the photo at the head of this thread...either the CSST is running from a manifold or a tee on existing lines, to fuel various appliances.

He plans to pull a permit, so I suppose if the local AHJ won't have it, he'll find-out soon enough.

Thanks.

--
Chris

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

Chris, Kinda funny I got the same e-mail from the same guy. I told him to contact a local plumber that is familiar with local requirements.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

I see a lot of black iron pipe inside homes around here, particularly on retrofits where the indoor piping is mostly run exposed (e.g. below joists) and the CSST would be subject to damage (not a good thing … icon_eek.gif ).

Running CSST outdoors wouldn't fly in my neck of the woods since it would be subject to damage (per IRC also), and it just sounds like a bad idea anyway. May not even be listed by the manufacturer for that installation. I would have them check with the AHJ, and rethink that idea in any case.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Thanks, Rob and Scott. It would indeed appear he’s trying to save even a consult with a plumber. I didn’t think it sounded like a great idea, either.

Have never seen an external run, though SS as pipe and fastener material is normally good stuff for continuous exposure to the elements (far, far better than cold-rolled or galvanized steel). However, if the CSST is prone to damage, you really wouldn't want it in an exposed area, whether that's running along your siding/founation wall(s), or slapped-up under your exposed floor joists.

--
Chris

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I got the same email. Couldn’t tell if it was someone locally trying to get information or what. As for long runs of the CSS it isn’t economically feasible. This stuff isn’t cheap and like someone said, it won’t fly with local code inspectors for outside applications. It is perfect for tight areas like in attics or inside RV’s primarily because it is flexible. and the connections are very easy to work with. Unlike threading pipes, installing elbows, etc. This cuts installation time tremendously.