Gas lines

What would say about these gas lines?

One word Fubar

And those are just the ones that feed the stove top, oven and the gas logs. I did not even show you the STAB LOK panel. We could hold a three day class in this house.

Copper tubing is not allowed for use with natural gas in my area.

Copper tubing OK here. I never see galvanized.

Galvanized should never be used ,

No Copper in Phoenix either, Galvanized was used but Black Iron & CSST is strictly used now, if I had either Galvanized or Copper in my home I would replace it, regardless of what the “Code” maybe in your area Buck I’d say get rid of them both in a report.

Many parts of the country do use galv. pipe for natural gas and it is allowed. I would never pretend to know what is or isn’t allowed in other parts of the world. We have inspectors from all over the world here so what may not be allowed in one jurisdiction may be in the next county. Like Dale, what I would do in my own home is another matter.

The reason Galvanized should not be used is because of flaking, That is why black Iron is used in most places .

There are two types of galvanized pipe. The hot dipped galv. if used at all, is typically used for plumbing whereas there is also one designated as “galvanized gas pipe” that is not hot dipped. The reason in most cases for people using black iron is it was or is cheaper but tends to rust very quickly especially in any outdoor or buried environment. Black iron is a very mild steel and typically if seen here at all it is only inside the house or facility. Galvanized gas pipe is used almost exclusively in this whole region. It even looks different. The gas pipe is smooth, thick walled pipe. It does not have a flaking problem like the hot dipped pipe.
I do not know of anyone I know who likes to plumb for water with galv. pipe anymore. Takes too long and a pain in the keester with all the threading and cutting when you can use copper, CPVC or PEX.

Can flex gas lines be installed in concrete this way?

100.jpg

I don’t believe CSST can be directly embedded in concrete. I believe it needs inside a non-metallic watertight conduit with an I.D. at least ½” larger than the tubing outside diameter. And within conduit it should be one piece with no splices or joints.

Hmm…where’d you go with your picture and question, Vince?

Well, at least he got it answered…:smiley: