floors

Originally Posted By: jane molina
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Sloping / uneven floors in a older house and all the joist and crawlspace looke fine , how would you write this up /

Originally Posted By: rking

“Floors appear to be sloping to the (East, west, north or south). No structural deficincies were noted at the time of the inspection.

This type of settlement is typical of an older home.

If corrections become necessary or are are desired I recommend consulting with a qualified contractor to determine a proper course of action”

That is of course providing that all the joists and the crawlspace AND the support structure (foundation piers) were not structurally unsound or leaning.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Robert

"No structural deficincies were noted at the time of the inspection.
This type of settlement is typical of an older home."

Be careful. This 'sounds' like an expert opinion. I mean an engineer look at this.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hi Jane,

Just curious if you're a home inspector? BTW the sagging floor could be the result of too great of a span between load bearing support.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: dbowers

How old a house. 75-80 year old people don’t stand as straight as they did when they were 16 - neither do houses. What may be scary movement in a 15 year old house may be perfectly typical in a 80 year old house.

Nobody can answer the question for you over the web, without having specifics about the foundation, the grade, type, span and O.C. spacing of the lumber in the sub-floor. Then you need a point-of-reference regarding how much slope or sag over what distance.

Jane - there are rules for whats acceptable and whats not and formulas for determining this that don't require someone being a licensed engineer to determine - many of these are called our building codes.

In an earlier post you said you're in the process of taking a HI class. This would be a great class exercise to ask the instructor how to use either the code / span tables and formulas OR how to use a lumber handbook. Many of the lumberyards around me have small pocket sized lumber books they give out to framers, builders, remodelers, etc.

In the classes we teach at PITI in Kansas City, our instructor spends probably 1 hour of the 6 hours in foundations, structures, and defects going over how to figure out whats ok & whats not ok.

I would think most other major training schools probably do the same.

Dan Bowers, CRI