Florida Wind Mitigation 1/03/2023

Hello, my name is Trenisha and I was wondering if I could receive some assistance with identifying the type of roof to wall attachment in reference to the wind mitigation section. I believe that the answer is either A or B.

Roof to Wall Attachment: What is the weakest roof to wall connection?

A. Toe Nails Rafter/truss anchored to top plate of wall using nails driven at an angle through the rafter/truss and attached to the top plate of the wall.

B. Clips Metal attachments on every rafter/truss that are nailed to one side (or both sides in the case of a diamond type clip) of the rafter/truss and attached to the top plate of the wall frame or embedded in the bond beam.

C. Single Wraps Metal Straps must be secured to every rafter/truss with a minimum of 3 nails, wrapping over and securing to the opposite side of the rafter/truss with a minimum of 1 nail. The Strap must be attached to the top plate of the wall frame or embedded in the bond beam in at least one place.

D. Double Wraps Both Metal Straps must be secured to every rafter/truss with a minimum of 3 nails, wrapping over and securing to the opposite side of the rafter/truss with a minimum of 1 nail. Each Strap must be attached to the top plate of the wall frame or embedded in the bond beam in at least one place.

E. Structural Anchor bolts structurally connected or reinforced concrete roof.
F. Other: ______________________________________
G. Unknown or Unidentified
H. No attic access

You would have to provide the picture of the rtw connection for an answer.
As to roof deck nailing…

Trenisha, what you have pictured are not “roof to wall” attachments. They are part of the roof truss called truss gusset plates.

The “roof to wall” attachment is located at the top of the exterior wall.

Good luck!

yes, the pictures which you provided is not the one we are looking for connection location.

This is an example of a roof to wall attachment.

Out of curiosity, from someone up north that isn’t doing wind mits, how many nails are credited to the bracket to top plate attachment in your picture?

We can’t see how the clip or strap is attached to the top plate. But the form reads for clips, there must be 3 nails. Early use of hurricane clips or likely only have 2 nails which is not eligible for the credit.

There are companies in Florida that add a 3rd nail, and that’s there whole business.

So, even though the inspector DOES NOT see 3 nails he certifies that there are 3 nails?

No, we have to see the correct nails in the top truss connection.
It’s the wall connection that is obscured and not visible. Could be zero nails there, we can’t tell typically…

1 Like

Yes that was my specific question about the bracket to top plate.

Oh, do you mean that the MAIN concern is that there are, in this instance, 3 nails IN THE TRUSS and are not so concerned with the bracket to top plate connection? Or, is that connection something that an inspector would not guess at either? You know, no guessing at ANY connection.

All the form is concerned about is how many visible nails are in the clip to truss attachment.

1 Like

Thanks, that helps clear it up.

This is the form, the opening protections are where it can get confusing.

https://www.citizensfla.com/documents/20702/31330/Uniform+Mitigation+Verification+Inspection+Form+OIR-B1-1802/3ff6a375-1088-482b-8496-5b325ed6453b

Here is one. I’ll have to double check this but I believe these were incorrectly installed to the concrete. I think they used regular tap cons and they bent the strong tie.
IMG_20240309_155201

Clips: Metal attachments on every rafter/truss that are nailed to one side (or both sides in the case of a diamond type clip) of the rafter/truss and attached to the top plate of the wall frame or embedded in the bond beam.

yeah that’s incorrectly installed. Simpson makes a nail / tapcon connector. When the builder forgets (for whatever reason) to embed the HETA-20 straps into the lintel, you can buy twist straps that have nail holes for the truss and tapcon holes for the block connection. If the contractor uses tapcons in nail holes and vice versa its improperly installed