IKO is starting to add a warranty to unvented roof systems. The wording is somewhat confusing but after I talked to the New England rep. she told me that they are looking at the science behind bringing the attic into the thermal barrier of the house therefore warranting the shingles for ten years. Time will tell???
[FONT=Times New Roman]2. The limited warranty terms set out in this document apply to shingles installed on roof slopes of 4 in 12 (1:3) and steeper. The limited[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]warranty period for shingles installed on roof slopes of less than 4 in 12 (1:3) and down to 2 in 12 (1:6) is 12 years (If certain application procedures
are followed, see shingle product wrapper for details), and will be pro-rated for material only, exclusive of labor, etc., at an annual reduction of 8.33%.
(If certain application procedures are followed, a full limited warranty will be in effect for slopes between 3:12 to 4:12. See shingle product wrapper
for details). Armourshake, Cambridge LT and Crowne Slate will only be warranted when applied to roof slopes 4 in 12 (1:3) or steeper. Use of
an approved underlayment is strongly recommended beneath all shingle applications, below 6:12.
3. All shingles which contain a factory applied self sealing strip must be subjected to direct sunlight for several days before full sealing will
occur. Shingles installed in the fall or winter may not seal until the following spring. Shingles which do not receive direct sunlight or which are not
exposed to adequate surface temperatures may never seal. Damage to the factory applied self sealing strip by dust, sand, or foreign matter will prevent
the sealing strip from activating. This is the nature of shingles and failure to seal down under such circumstances is not a manufacturing defect.
IKO will not be responsible for any blow-offs or wind damage that may occur prior to thermal sealing having occurred. After the shingles have sealed,
however, they will be covered under this warranty if they experience blow-offs or wind damage in winds up to the levels listed in the Limited Wind
Resistance Warranty section.
4. IKO does not provide any warranty coverage to its shingles when they are installed over insulated roof deck panels.
5. IKO will not be liable for damage caused by insufficient attic ventilation or roof drainage. Ventilation must meet building code requirements.
Also, IKO is not liable for damage caused to products installed over a roof deck that is not properly ventilated with an air space between the
roof deck and the insulation. Approximately half of the ventilation must be at the eaves, with the remaining half at the top, or ridge of the roof.
6. Exclusions 4 & 5 notwithstanding any fiberglass asphalt shingles manufactured to meet ASTM D3462 applied to roof deck assemblies
(slopes > 2:12) where foam insulation is prefabricated into the roof deck system (often called “nailboard insulation”), or where insulation is installed
immediately beneath an acceptable roof deck system, or where radiant barriers are installed, with or without ventilation, directly below the deck, shall
qualify for a reduced limited warranty duration of 10 (ten) years with no Iron Clad Protection coverage, with respect to shingle problems related to
the absence of adequate roof system ventilation (linear pro-ration over 10 (ten) years). The roof design professional is responsible to ensure; 1) the
proper quality and correct application of the insulation and/or radiant barrier, 2) the provision of adequate structural ventilation and/or vapor retarders
*as they determine to be necessary, and 3) that all local codes are met (especially considering local climate conditions). *
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]These important factors and[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]*decisions are *[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]not [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]the responsibility of IKO but are critical to assure proper deck system performance.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]7. In all cases, replacement shingles are warranted only for the remainder of the original shingles’ limited warranty.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]8. IKO reserves the right to discontinue or modify any of its products, including the color blend of any shingles, without notice to the original
consumer-purchaser. IKO will not be liable as a result of any such modification or discontinuance.
9. IKO will have no liability in the event that any replacement material for any shingles covered under this limited warranty may vary in color
in comparison to the original product as a result of product changes or normal weathering of the original product.
10. This limited warranty is effective as of October 1, 2009.
11. This limited warranty only confers rights upon, and may only be enforced by the original purchaser of the shingles that are covered by this
limited warranty, or any person to whom this limited warranty is transferred in accord with the TRANSFERABILITY set out above. No other person
has rights under, or may enforce this limited warranty
12. Subject to the laws of any jurisdiction that would modify this term, no action may be brought against IKO for breach of this limited warranty
or arising out of any use of or damage to the shingles that are the subject of this warranty unless it is brought within one year after any cause of action
13. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.
Some provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
14. The unenforceability of any term of this limited warranty will not affect the enforceability of any other term. If any provision of this limited
warranty is unenforceable, it may be severed. In that event the remainder of this limited warranty will remain in full force and effect.
15. The installation of asphalt shingles on dimensional lumber (including shiplap or board decks) is not recommended as it may potentially
cause buckling problems. Buckling is not covered by this limited warranty.
16. With Renaissance GXL 30 shingles, the base shingle has “patches” of asphalt coating and granules which help give the shingle its unique
appearance. During exposure on the roof it is possible for these patches to show small fissures. These fissures can develop within the first few years
depending on roof exposure, climate, roof pitch, and attic ventilation efficiency and are not the result of a manufacturing defect. They do not detract
from the long term water shedding performance of the asphalt shingle roof system. (Beneath the patches, there is the shingle’s base layer of asphalt
and granules, and the glass reinforcement. Below this is the overlapped unexposed portion of the underlying shingle.)
17. Product bearing “ECONOMY NO WARRANTY” tape, is not covered by this limited warranty, and is sold [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]"[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]As Is.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]"[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]18. Open metal valleys are recommended for best roof performance. If roof valleys are constructed using shingles, the shingles in the valley[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]are not covered by this Limited Warranty.
THIS LIMITED WARRANTY REPLACES ALL OTHER ORAL OR WRITTEN WARRANTIES, LIABILITIES OR OBLIGATIONS OF IKO.
THEREARE NO OTHERWARRANTIESWHICH EXTEND BEYOND THE LIMITEDWARRANTY DESCRIBED IN THIS DOCUMENT. IKO
WILL NOT BE LIABLE FORANY ORAL STATEMENT OR OTHERWRITTEN STATEMENTABOUTANY IKO SHINGLE,WHETHER SUCH
STATEMENTSARE MADE BYANAGENT OR EMPLOYEE OF IKO OR BYANY OTHER PERSON. IKO DOES NOTAUTHORIZE ITS REPRESENTATIVES,
DISTRIBUTORS, CONTRACTORS OR DEALERS TO MAKE ANY CHANGES OR MODIFICATIONS TO THIS LIMITED
[FONT=Times New Roman][size=4]IKOIndRegCDA10-09PD10-[/size][/FONT]