Fogged window, then not fogged

Greetings, I did an inspection and checked the windows,two of them were heavily condensated, lots of moisture between the glass. Upon further inspection I noticed that the other windows had moisture between the glass. To make sure I even ran my finger on the glass surface to make sure that it was between.
I turned in my report as 4 fogged windows.I get called back because three of the windows did not have any moisture showing.I know what I saw the first time, but then re checking it was gone…Need to know whats going on
Thanks
Joe DeGiorgio
Compass Property Inspection
678-859-2992:neutral:
</IMG>

Joe, the widows will show different ammounts of fogging dependent on temperature and RH differences inside and out, it is not unusual to see this specially as the windows heat up during the day.

I bet though that if you look carefully at the bottom seal that you can still see signs of moisture having been present.

Regards

Gerry

Gary, send me your number and I will call you,
Thanks,
Joe

Gary who?

Did you take pictures of the windows in question?

Yes I did, but you cannot see as well as when you just looked at it

Ya, it’s hard to take good pics of moisture inbetween panes, but it sometimes helps with callbacks.:cool:

Try this next time:
www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1737

I like it! :smiley:

I am going to go back and try this…I will let you know what happens.
Thanks,
Joe

You are welcome. Hope this helps. I usually wrap the ice in a piece of cloth or paper towel. I carry a couple of microfiber towels with me to mop up behind myself if I “discover” a leak or create one of my own. You can buy a bundle of 8 at Wally World for about $4. They are great cause they hold about a quart of water before you have to wring it out. Toss them in the laundry and viola like new. Great for drying up to after you’ve had your hands in someone’s funky, nasty mess during inspections.

Not sure I would try it, but I read somewhere another method of testing if the seal is broken is to press on the outside and inside of the glass and if the panes touch, the seal is broke. Anyone else hear or read of this method?
Steve

NOt me. If its not when you start it might be when you finish.:slight_smile:

I honestly don’t think you are going to get the two panes to touch each other. Maybe they’ll touch when your hand finally goes through the window.

:shock::shock:

I don’t think I would try that.:shock::shock:

Steve, i’m with them, i wouldn’t try it. one thing is you could break it, because depending on the age of the window and thickness of each glass, it could break like…well …glass actualy. the other thing is, weather the seal is good or not you could get the 2 to touch depending on how big each is, how thick, old, and how far apart. sounds like who ever told you that may have a method for one situation, but not enough to call it a “trick” for all thermal panes.

Im with ya, I dont know where I think I read that, but it doesnt seem like a good idea. I figured I would ask in case anyone else heard or has tried it.

Educate:

Very common, it can work in reverse of your situation as well. It might not be showing and then it is when the buyer moves in. Then they want to know why you missed it. Here is my reporting language for insulated windows that goes in after my standard descriptive section of the report regarding the windows.

“Defective seals in insulated glass are not always visible. Environmental conditions such as humidity, temperature, and time of day will affect visible indications of defective seals. Therefore any defective seals listed are only those that were visible and significantly affecting the appearance of the window at the time of inspection and not a guaranty that no other windows have defective seals.”

I liked that until I got to the “and significantly affecting the appearance of the window at the time of inspection.” That I didn’t like. If a defective seal is “visible” or noticeable or detectable, it will, at some point, probably the day after they move in, “significantly affect the appearance of the window.” So why not just note it now and save the phone call from the buyers when they move in by deleting that phrase?