foundation bulges, open spots

This house was sitting on a slight rise. Concrete foundation with stucco ‘dressing’ was 12" at the front, 48" at the rear. The one side and rear vertical lines of the slab bulged at the center 2"+ from top to bottom. This followed all the corners around a bay window configuration on the wall above.
Also, at another place, the stucco dressing was flaked in several places revealing wood underneath, not concrete. Largest is 1-1/2"x3".

It was bad enough to be bulged, but wood showing?
Any ideas?
Thanks, Linda

z_1929.jpg

Linda, the stucco application is obviously in trouble, but the bulging really requires evaluation by a structural engineer anyway, and thatwould be my recommendation to the buyer.

Regards

Gerry

I agree with Gerry. There are some issues here that need to be brought to the attention of your client.

That “stucco” application directly onto the framing would also raise some red flags in my mind. Was this, possibly, an un-permitted addition?

Yes, it is in the county, permits not required. I recommended they consult the Engineer of the Builder (new construction) and they are to meet tomorrow. I would like to be a fly on the wall and hear the discussion. The buyer seems ‘some’ concerned, not overly much. I know I personally would not want it.
Linda

Frequently the buyers are just too much “in love” with the house to believe there’s anything really wrong with it. They don’t want to believe it. That’s why they put $$ down on the place. That is a good thing; you should eduate them about the issue as much as you can so they can learn to adapt to it. It helps them to make more informed decision–that’s why you’re there.

That is sooo very true. I wrote up a brand new roof on a house that was very poorly ventilated. Water streaks down the front of the home, water stains on the interior roof. I had visual proof that the Rafter-Mate vents only ran one course, and not fully up to the ridge vent in a cathedral ceiling. No body wanted to believe there was a problem. So they bought the lovely house. Three months later, in the dead of winter, the frost from the decking was melting in the morning sun, and dripping into the home. I got the call, “Hi, this is so and so, you inspected my home…”

The rose glasses came off when they stepped in the puddle on the floor.:roll:

Happens every time…

Hi Linda;

I’m interested in the “No permits required in the County” comment. In California, it doesn’t matter what type of Government controlled municipality the property is in, permits are always required by someone. Permits are even required on the various indian reservations throughout California. Are you sure the “County” building department in your area doesn’t have building, health and safety concerns thereby involving a building permit process?

I recently inspected a home in a gate guarded community outside Ensenada, Mexico. We even found a government controlled building and Safety Department with permit history on the subject property down there. Sure seems odd that Texas wouldn’t have some control over structures in rural areas.

Let’s see…the engineer is an employee of the builder. I wonder if he’ll have any concerns about this issue? :shock: Whacha wanna bet it will be judged “just fine”. (And what type of engineer is he?)

I would have recommended an independent analysis.

Consult a knowledgeable contractor familiar with stucco applications.

What does an engineer know about stucco?