Foundation crack

This is a 14 year old house with lever grading around the house. Do you consider these floor cracks a problem? They run from post to post.

Tom

foundatin 1.jpg

foundaton 3.jpg

They look like normal shrinkage cracks in the slab to me. The posts created a weak point in the slab, that is why the cracks run from post to post. Were both sides of the crack level or was one side higher than the other?

No, I don’t. They look fine from Michigan. :wink:

Looks good from Maine too! :mrgreen:

Those have got to be the straightest wild cracking I’ve seen. Almost like they were controlled somehow by something we don’t see.

The crack width usually tells me or indicates how wet the concrete was when it was poured.
This one was over a 5" slump.
I would recommend sealing the crack with an elastomeric sealant to prevent air from infiltrating the crack and causing slab curling, and also help for radon invasion of the space if that would be the case. :):smiley:

Look okay from here in San Diego. If that house had been built in Rancho Santa Fe, they would have put expansion joints everywhere you see a crack, which would have prevented the cracks! Of course, such labor-intensive concrete work like expansion joints would have added $500,000 to the cost of the house. But, hey, you’d be living in Rancho Santa Fe!

probably a metal keyway under same…looks good from NC as well.

They probably poured the floor in sections using temporary screed boards to maintain elevation. Partial cold joists form when the screed boards are removed, and srinkage cracks form at these locations. That is why the cracks are straight. I don’t see any concerns.

Those floor cracks look controlled to me. Most floor cracks are no big deal as they do pour the floor after the foundation is poured.

Both sides are level,

Thank you