Foundation grounding

I was wondering if anyone has come across a panel that has been grounded to the re-bar in the foundation and how do you write it up.

This is the best grounding electrode known to mankind.

Edited to add:

(3) Concrete-Encased Electrode. An electrode encased by at least 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete, located within and near the bottom of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of one or more bare or zinc galvanized or other electrically conductive coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of not less than 13 mm (½ in.) in diameter, or consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of bare copper conductor not smaller than 4 AWG. Reinforcing bars shall be permitted to be bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or other effective means.

Thanks Mike, good info.

The reason I ask is I have a garage to build that will have a studio apartment on the second floor and the building inspector wants the foundation grounded.

If I can I’ll take pictures of it and post it.

It’s not that he wants the foundation grounded. He wants the “foundation” used as a ground(ing electrode).

As Mike said, a Ufer, concrete encased electrode, etc. is the best “ground” yet. NO supplemental electrode is required and they are easy to do if planned for.

Sorry, my bad, I’ll still post pictures as it’s being completed.

I built an Air-Craft Maintenance Complex at Loring Airforce Base back in 1983 and when I did the foundation, grounding electrodes were cadwelded to re-bar in the footing and also a complete grid around the builiding with groundrods every 25’ or so and also interconnected the steel columns around the perimeter.

I had no idea what kind of wasted money that was about. Still haven’t figured it out. ha. ha.
Maybe it had something to do with the aircraft maintenance. Who knows. :stuck_out_tongue:

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:

Thanks Speedy Pete

Hey, no bad at all.
Pics would be cool though. :slight_smile:

Hopefully I’ll still be able to dig a hole and pour concrete next week, with all this cold weather I think the frost may settle in to quick.

Oh wow. You’re not even poured yet.
Yeah man, it’s gettin’ COLD!

cadwelding

You think this guy would wear gloves

No doubt Brian.

My electrician was though and so would I.

There will always be one that thinks nothing of it.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

And it’s usually the guys that have been welding for a long time…they get cocky and feel invincable…stupid is more like it !!!