Foundation inspection Issue and need advice

Hello
I’m willing to purchase a home in TX built in 2003 and today I did my home inspection and got the report.

And there are some foundation issues and not sure if it’s major or normal and how much it will cost?

Kindly I need your advice, Is it a big red flag that we should walk away, or is it something that can be fixed easily and does fix it will prevent it from happening again?

Thank you

Hope this helps, Yasser:

2 Likes

Thank you @lkage for your reply I appreciate
So, is that mean nothing to worry about?
Just fix those issues and everything should be fine or go away from that home?
And if you can help with the estimate cost?

There are really two different issues in the photos. The diagonal cracks or “corner pops” are common to most slab foundations of the era and are more cosmetic in nature unless they extend far enough away from the corners to interrupt the post tension cable ends. Just leave them alone. The second issue is the circular post tension cable pockets which are usually spaced every 3’ or so apart on the perimeter of the foundation. Here is my comment on the subject “There are exposed post tension cable ends that should be repaired now and maintained in the future as part of the general maintenance of the house. Excessive corrosion can lead to catastrophic failure of the cable tendons which can be very costly to repair. Generally, I would not advise digging more than a few inches to expose the post tension cable ends since those below the soil level will tend to be protected by the soil. This repair recipe comes from Sun Coast Foundations in the Houston area: Ingredients – Portland cement and Elmer’s Glue mixed to consistency of grout (about like stiff peanut butter) for application. Clean and remove all debris in pocket. P-T cable can be spray-painted with rust inhibitor spray paint (Rust-O-Leum, etc.) Apply some mixture of Elmer’s Glue/water (slightly thinning the glue) to area of pocket and surrounding surface to help provide adherence. Apply “mix” to fill the pocket and surface as necessary.”

The cracks are “Corner Wedge Cracks.” You can look them up. They are not a concern in your photos. Seal the plugs over the post-tension cable ends.

I haven’t heard of that one. I would use an exterior “Elmer’s Glue” for that recipe. I think an epoxy would be better. Call up a local concrete contractor to do it or offer instruction.

And finally, what did your inspector say and recommend?

Good morning @lhenderson2

Thank you for your reply.
My inspector told me nothing to worry about as all of these are normal but I need to take care about regular maintenance and make sure water around my house should not be dry or too much wet

Hello @jluttrall

Thank you for your response I appreciate
So, I think I should not worry about the report results as no big issue in my home foundation and that is normal specially here in TX