Foundation without footer

I did an inspection yesterday at a split level house built in1962. It has a crawlspace under the main level with about a 4 ft foundation wall. The majority of the bottom of the wall is visible, not covered with dirt. The foundation wall is not setting on any kind footing, in fact the dirt under the wall, in the several places I checked, is not dirt but a very loose gravel. The house had no signs of foundation damage anywhere else. I was wondering if anyone has ever run across anything like this.

Yes, when [quote=“dsantopietro, post:1, topic:153123”]
I did an inspection yesterday at a split level house built in1962. It has a crawlspace under the main level with about a 4 ft foundation wall. The majority of the bottom of the wall is visible, not covered with dirt. The foundation wall is not setting on any kind footing, in fact the dirt under the wall, in the several places I checked, is not dirt but a very loose gravel. The house had no signs of foundation damage anywhere else. I was wondering if anyone has ever run across anything like this.
[/quote]
Yes, when it is a Grade Beam Construction, but can’t tell that from that little picture.
Where are you located and do you have pictures that are not so close.
\Then maybe some will help.

Agree…

I’m still trying to figure out how to attach a “Footer” to a building!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: