FP Panels Today Please Assit

Federal Pacific / Stab Lok

Please take a look at the pictures and see specs typed in this email below. Breakers were loose and one tripped while trying to put the main panel back on. My main concern is I read that some electricians ok and some don’t depends on the model. Do I have the model number that needs to be referred for upgrade to an electrician. Report is due by tomorrow night. Please take a look and let me know if any thing is wrong with the main and the sub panels. Please be specific its rare to see FP here so I’m sure I can learn something here. I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks everyone.

Main Panel:

Catalog # L1410-20-200
200AMPS
NO: BB504626

Sub:

Catalog # LX112-24
NO: BH-974238
125AMPS

It’s not the model number, it’s the design. You’re looking at two Stab-lok Load Centers - two of many different variations. Stab-loks are the ones with the issues you’ve heard so much about.

Hello Billy, There are lots of FPE panels in the St Louis area and I personally have run across very few that did not have breakers falling out of them. I do not see any separation between Grounds and Neutrals in the sub panel. I only see 3 wires from main to sub I assume 2 hots and a neutral and they relied on the bonding lock nut to provide bonding between them. The panel covers need to fit properly to keep the breakers tight to the bus. I am not seeing anything else at first glance, the bonding issue in the sub panel maybe the thing I would use to refer to an electrician. Hope this helps

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. This is the write ups going in my report…

Inspector Comments
[FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2]• The home is equipped with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) Stab-lok brand electrical[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial]panel. Stab-lok load centers and their components are considered problematic by[/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Arial]industry professionals due to their high failure rate as documented by the Consumer
Products Safety Commission. Failure of any component within the electrical system
may result in fire and/or electrocution. Evaluation of the panel by a qualified
electrician is advised to determine its safety, integrity and performance.

• Additional Information:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm
http://www.masscertifiedhomeinspections.com/?D=96

**and **

[FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2]• The main electrical service conductors providing power from the municipal supplier[/size][/size][/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][size=2]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial]are underground. The type of conductors from the meter panel to the distribution
[/size][/size][/size][/FONT]

[size=2][FONT=Arial]panel are aluminum 120/240 Volt. Scorch marks were observed on the conductors
inside the panel. Evaluation of the panel by a qualified electrician is advised to
determine its safety, integrity and performance.

[/size][/FONT][/FONT]**and **
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2]• Branch circuit wires are Copper 120 Volt and Aluminum 240 Volt. The overload[/size][/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial]devices the wires are connected to are circuit breakers. Breakers are loose in the**[/size][/size][/FONT]**
[size=2][FONT=Arial]panel due to a inadequate panel design. Evaluation of the panel by a qualified
electrician is advised to determine its safety, integrity and performance.
[/size][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

Am I missing something? I don’t see a main disconnect.

It’s a split-bus. The six two-pole breakers in the top of the panel are the “disconnect.”

Got it Steve just educated me on it. He also let me in on your verbiage. Thanks again for all your help. I really apprecaite you and many others here.

I would also add:

If the panels are not replaced, recommend installing smoke alarms above the panels per manufactures instructions.

When i find any loose connection in any home and i will in just about every home this in my report.

**Due to the age of the home and indication of loose connection, loose outlets of the home you should have a competent Licensed electrical contractor pull every outlet and switch, breaker and check all systems for loose connection. **
Breakers in the main electrical panel can have condition behind the breaker at the contact points that can not be noted without removing the breaker and inspecting the back side.

Best

Ron

http://www.masscertifiedhomeinspections.com/?D=96